2002 HONDA CIVIC EX - ELECTRICAL

• Civic Jon2
  • 2002 Honda Civic

A few months ago my car died as I was driving, it was determined to be an electrial problem, some bad wires had shorted and it was blowing out the fuel injector fuse. It was fixed, and the car ran fine. Recently some of the dash lights have been dimming and then brightening. Tonight my lights turned on after I had parked at work and turned them off. I had to turn on the lights and then turn them off again to get them to go out.

I bought the car used, and noticed a few weeks after purchasing it the right parking headlight only turns on when using the turn signal or emergency flashers.

The car is approaching 100,000 mi. I replaced the timing belt after purchasing and have a/c problems with the car as well.

Will the headlights continue to come on sporatically? I am hesitant to take it to the same mechanic and don't want to use a dealership for financial reasons. Any advice?

Monday, January 8th, 2007 AT 9:18 PM

• Bruce Hunt

Does the car have daytime running lights? Is that possible what is turning on and off the lights and thus having problems?

Monday, January 8th, 2007 AT 9:45 PM
  • Civic Jon2

The car does not have daytime running lights.

Monday, January 8th, 2007 AT 10:22 PM
  • Bruce Hunt

Sounds like a switch is failing. It will probably get worse rather soon and there are tests with a volt-ohm meter.

Tuesday, January 9th, 2007 AT 7:49 AM
  • Civic Jon2

A quick update: The lights have not come on by their own again, and the car drove home fine from work. But this morning when I drove to work, a malfunction light came on the dash. According to the manual, that means there is an emissions problem and I should take it to a dealer.

Would a standard mechanic be able to find the problem, or is the dealer my only option at this point?

Tuesday, January 9th, 2007 AT 3:10 PM
  • Bruce Hunt

A dealer would be a good option but a well qualified mechanic should also be able to do the work.

Tuesday, January 9th, 2007 AT 3:16 PM