BAFFLING NOISE FROM ENGINE AND FUEL LEAKING

2002 Honda Civic

omac

July, 9, 2008 AT 12:33 AM

Shakes or Wobbles problem
2002 Honda Civic 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Manual 118000 miles

Two weeks ago I accelerated my car toward an island in a parking lot, I didn’t see the island it was dark; however as I hit the curb on the island I heard a crack and a scrap from under my car, I then got out to see if anything looked broken or was leaking. I didn’t see anything, after a few days I noticed my gas was running out faster and faster i.E. I would fill my car up to half tank, park it, start it up again 12hrs later to find it was almost on empty. I didn’t smell any gas or notice any gas stains. Then a few days later the car started making a baffling noise that was coming from the engine, it would make this noise allot while on neutral like ticking and allot more when on first gear - third gear. I then took it to the Honda dealership to diagnose the problem, and they said it was probably a broken bearing from inside the transmission, and wanted $1000 just to look into the problem more, they also said that broken barring was probably contributing to my gas problem as well. I just wanted to know if there a temporary way to at least to stop my gas from leaking until I can fix this? Please help!

Missing Part And Leaking Fuel

Gas Leak

July, 9, 2008 AT 1:27 AM

Hi omac,

Get a second opinion regarding the trans.

Does the ticking noise goes away when idling speed is increased while in neutral?

First and third moves in the same forward direction, what about fifth gear, any ticking noise? Does ticking noise frequency/rate increase with road speed?

When you hit a road island, you could have misaligned something and it is causing the noise. Bearings do not give way so easily and sduld affect all gears if two of them have it.

If the gas is lost while parking, it should be a substantial amount and there should be gas smell. I am baffled that you don't smell anything.

The car can still be started and driven without any difficulty? Any loss in performance and power?

I would suggest checking for any broken parts or pipes around the area where the undercarriage was hit by the road island. I suspect it is something to do with the fuel return hose or EVAP system.

Fuel Injector Replacement Ford 5.4L V8
Fuel Filter Mount Replacement Chevrolet
Fuel Filter Replacement Ford Mustang
Fuel Filter Replacement Toyota Tacoma
Fuel Filter Replacement Ford F-250
Fuel Filters Replacement 2015 RAM 2500 6.7L