CAR DISTRIBUTOR CAP

2000 Honda Civic

rohanjadhav

September, 27, 2006 AT 3:45 PM

Hi,

I own a honda civic 2000 with around 80000 miles on it. Today it stopped on highway al of a sudden. I got it towed to nearest garage. The mechanic told me I would have to replace the distributor, sinc ethere was no ignition. I got it replaced. But I never understood my car never gaved me any warning regrading this.I got it replaced and then it started?

Whats the reason the distributor fails? What signs /symptons it give before it fails?

Rohan

Bruce Hunt

September, 27, 2006 AT 4:15 PM

This should have kicked on the Check Engine Light. Symptoms could vary but generally when the distrbutor fails there is no backup and since the plugs get no spark the engine has no choice but to die. An unusual item given the age of the car and mileage. The mechanic did a good job of finding the problem, though it could look like something else was wrong.

rohanjadhav

September, 27, 2006 AT 4:22 PM

Thanks for the prompt response. For last couple of weeks I was expreicning soke back push/jerk while driving. Was this anyway related to this?
What are the symptons?

Regards
Rohan

Bruce Hunt

September, 28, 2006 AT 3:40 PM

It very well could be. Electronic components when they start to fail can go out just like that or linger with shorts etc.

Spark Plug and Wire Replacement Chevrolet
Crankshaft Position Sensor Replace Chevrolet