REPLACING THE CV JOINT BOOT

1997 Honda Civic

jeoku

September, 15, 2008 AT 9:44 PM

1997 Honda Civic 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Manual 98,000 miles

I am trying to replace my CV joint boots. I already removed the clamp on the boots and was able to slide them away from the cv joint. My problem is that I do not know how to seperate the cv joint from the axle. How do I get this off? Do I just need to put it in a vice and hammer at it?
Also. Since Im messing with all this will it throw off my alignment at all?. I removed them from the transmission because I was putting in a new clutch kit (bad clutch release bearing).

September, 18, 2008 AT 2:12 PM

Hi jeoku,

" Do I just need to put it in a vice and hammer at it? &Quot; Yes, that is what you need to do but DO NOT hammer too hard. The CV joint is locked with the aid of a spring clip so it is best if you can get someone to pull at the CV joint to get the spring clip slightly compressed while you use a rod and hammer to punch the joint off.

CV Axle Replacement
CV Drive Axle Replacement Nissan Altima
CV Axle Replacement