1997 Honda Civic Oil Pump?

TTHEWS
  • 1997 HONDA CIVIC
My car when first started makes a loud knocking sound. The oil light flickers. Once running for about 45 seconds or so the knocking silents as the oil light stops flickering. When driving the oil light flickers at idle and just seems to me not to be maintaining proper oil pressure. Does this sound like a failed oil pump? Maybe just an engine flush would fix this? I have to admit, I have been the sole owner of this car and oil changes have not been regular. Other then this problem the car runs great still. What should be my order of troubleshooting. If I could fix this myself I would.
Friday, December 5th, 2008 AT 10:10 AM

JAMES W.
With 220K on the motor, I have to say the motor is just plain getting tired. Oil pumps do wear and don't pump like when they were new, but bearings will wear faster. You could remove the oil pressure sending unit and screw in a regular oil gauge to test pressure, but you will probably find the light is telling the truth. You could go to a heavier oil, but if I'm correct, your on borrowed time. Hope this helps.
Friday, December 5th, 2008 AT 11:34 AM