HESITATION AT LOW RPMS

1997 Honda Civic

w003rer

June, 21, 2006 AT 10:45 AM

I am getting a very slight hesitation (jerkiness), almost a misfire but I wouldn't say it was that severe. I gave the car a tune up and it didn't fix the problem. The hesitation occurs at low RPM and sometimes only once or multiple times as I accelerate. Once I reach speed it stops. It also occurs when the motor is under load. Is this a typical distributor problem, or could it be something else, clutch slipping, MAP Sensor problem, etc. I am taking it to a Honda dealer but want to have a heads up on some of the responses I might get from the dealer mechanic.

Ran Raider

Bruce Hunt

June, 21, 2006 AT 4:11 PM

The very first thing I suspect is the plug wires. That is the very problem that surfaces with a bad set of wires. Try switching with another to check or replace them.

kwong

July, 31, 2006 AT 8:38 PM

I have a similiar problem with my honda civic also an it only has 72000 miles what did the dealer say because I am taking my car to the dealers also.

94bowden

August, 3, 2006 AT 10:09 AM

Pull out your spark plugs to see if they are fowled up at all if so then your running to rich if they are black and to lean if they if they are white. You can fix alot of problems by looking at your spark plugs. They give you an idea of whats going on inside your motor. Check them and write back

jayt

August, 13, 2006 AT 1:53 PM

I have a 99 Civic with the same exact problem. The car died upon acceleration mid-intersection. Turned out that the ignition coil had burnt out, literally. After replacing, the car started again but the hesitation/misfire problem was noticed for the first time. I replaced the cap and wires. The plugs look good. The problem is still there, but usually only occurs after the engine warms up. Any advice would be appreciated.

Vacuum Leak Test and Repair - All Cars
Mass Air Flow Sensor Clean Ford Explorer 1995
Mass Air Flow Sensor Clean Toyota Tacoma