EX

1996 Honda Civic

wsbeach1

March, 15, 2007 AT 6:27 AM

I am having idle and stalling problems with a Honda Civic EX 5-speed. Sometimes it idles fine around 900 RPM and other times it drops down to around 200 RPM. When it does drop to 200 RPM it is running smoothly though. Another problem (don't know if they are related) is when I am shifting from 1-2-3 the car loses power as if the fuel is being cut or losing spark. I have changed the following parts to no avail. Plugs, wires, fuel filter, distributor cap, rotor. I have also added fuel additive thru several fill ups with no help. I have used a Scantron tool and there are no faults logged.

Bruce Hunt

March, 15, 2007 AT 1:11 PM

I would suggest that you have a fuel pressure check performed on the car. Your fuel pump could be failing.

wsbeach1

March, 15, 2007 AT 5:21 PM

One thing I failed to mention is that this is a intermittant problem. It may run well for several days or weeks and then start acting up.

Bruce Hunt

March, 17, 2007 AT 8:32 AM

It can still be fuel related as the pumps are electric and not mechanical. It does make it tougher as the vehicle will probably go to the mechanic and be tested, passing with flying colors. But when it is bad, it will fail. Some of these are tough to catch.

Catalytic Converter Replacement Volkswagen
Find Out How to Test Your Catalytic Converter
Fuel Filter Replacment BMW 525i
Fuel Filter Replacement Ford F-250