TRANSMISSION ISSUES I THINK

Honda Accord

lnmartz

September, 19, 2007 AT 11:00 AM

I have a 1998 Honda Accord, four door. It has around 140,000 + miles. Not sure what wheel drive it is but if I have to guess I would say 2 wheel. It has an automatic transmission. The dealership says that it has a small oil leak. I have not seen evidence of this but know that I do have to add oil sometimes. I felt as if the transmission was slipping so I took it to the dealership but they said there was not a problem after driving it. This happened about 6 months ago or so.
The question is would the transmission be causing the RMP's to rev up? I have noticed that when the car is shifting gears the RMP's go up to about 3000. Is this normal? It feels as though the car's engine really has to struggle to change from 1st to 2nd gear and from 2nd to 3rd gear. Do you have any ideas why this could be happening? The transmission fluid is at normal range.

Transmission Flare

Transmission Problem

2CarPros Ken

September, 19, 2007 AT 11:22 AM

It, sounds like the tranmission is slipping, honda had problems with there automatics with that many miles on them. The reason the dealer cant find the problem is because they need to test drive it further and get the tranmission warmer. We have had some success when we replaced the shift control selionds, they can become weak and not function properly. If that doesnt work the seals inside the trnamission could be going out causing a lose of pressure, causing the slipage. A rebuilt transmission at this point is the answer : (