Sounds like an exhaust leak but isn't

IAN IN OH
  • HONDA ACCORD
1996 Honda Accord EX
approx 162K miles
auto
4 cyl/145 hp

had exhaust system checked last Friday; no holes
had all but muffler replaced -- June '07
"extra noise" that seems to be most audible btwn 20-40mph
seems to be independent of pressing accelerator
car still seems to run ok -- no other sign of difficulty and gets from place to place
stops when car stops at light
nothing audible if you leave car running, put it in park, and walk around it
Monday, October 1st, 2007 AT 10:04 AM

BRUCE HUNT
You haven't really described the sound, but with the work you have had done I suspect that a heat shield on the exhaust is loose. They are hard to nail down and find but cause a considerable amount of noise that is hard to discern the location of. Just revving the engine doesn't activate the sound but under load pulling the vehicle and especially at certain speeds the sound will surface.

Try that for a starting point.
Monday, October 1st, 2007 AT 11:30 AM
FERDI_MARZAN
1999 Honda Accord EX
approx 111K miles
auto
4 cyl

The original thread seems to be describing exactly what my car is showing right now. Although he never posted back to share what eventually happened to his car.
My car is producing an extra roaring noise that is very noticeable between 20 40mph. The car seems to be still ok and performing as good as I expect it to do. I do not notice any difficulty in handling or during acceleration.
I tried to visually check the exhaust pipe from where it's connected to the engine to the catlyctic converter to the muffler all the way to where gas exits out. I was looking for any sign of rusting metal, broken gasket or leaking holes along the pipe but did not see one.
What could be producing this roaring sound? You have mentioned heat shield and I have read somewhere that heat shiled is a common problem for hondas at mileage like mine. I am not really sure what this heat shield looks like. Could you please lead me to the right direction?
Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
Sunday, October 7th, 2007 AT 3:30 PM