REPLACING REAR BRAKE PADS

Honda Accord

btpcheer

July, 4, 2006 AT 9:22 AM

I have been attempting to replace the rear brake pads on my 2004 honda accord. I have had no problems up until the point at which I try to press the piston in on the caliper so that it will fit over the new pads and it will not budge. I have tried everything. My last attempt was using an 8" C-clamp and a wood shim on the back of the caliper (unusual shape). The parking brake is not on and I have removed the cap to the brake fluid resevoir. I am at a loss. If anyone has any suggestions, I would appreciate it.

vandragon

July, 5, 2006 AT 2:24 PM

You did not mention if you had tried both sides of the car. If one is not stuck then it's caliper time. If both are stuck then maybe the parkbrake cable is to tight. When all else failes get a haynes manual. Did the piston move at all? I just remembered that once I had that problem with bonded pads. Turned out that they were just to thick. Anyway post back and tell us what you found, so that others may be helped. Thanks for your time and good luck. Vandragon

btpcheer

July, 5, 2006 AT 2:31 PM

Yes, I tried both sides and met with the same result.

runtich

July, 6, 2006 AT 10:55 PM

The rear calipers on hondas screw in because of the parking brake set up. You can go the the local auto parts store and pick up the tool to push the calipers in pretty cheap. The tool pushes the caliper in and turns it at the same time. If u notice the piston is solid with grooves in it. The tool fits in where the pads would be placed and it has things on it that fit in the grooves to push and turn the piston at the same time.

vandragon

July, 7, 2006 AT 9:52 AM

Thanks from all runtich, I haven't worked on any late model honda's. Now when my daughter ask for brakes on he car i'll know what to do. You can teach an old dog new tricks, just don't expect him to remember how the next time you ask.

runtich

July, 7, 2006 AT 9:51 PM

Ur welcome, and I hope everything works out for u.

btpcheer

July, 9, 2006 AT 9:20 PM

Screwing in the calipers worked like a charm. You don't even need tool, all you need is a pair of needlenose pliers.

Brake Pad & Rotor Replacement Acura TL
Brake Pad/Brake Rotor Replacement - Rear
Brake Pad and Rotor Replacement - Front
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement
Front Brake Pads & Rotor Replacement Chevy
Brake Pads and Rotor Replacement - Front
Brake Pad and Rotor Replacement
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement - Front