LEAKING HEAD GASKET PRODUCING PROBLEMS?

• daviddahlb
  • Honda Accord

1992 honda accord, f22a1 engine.

The head gasket is leaking oil out the front.
And then, the hose to the top of the radiator burst the other day when I was idling in a drive thru after a mild ride.
Sometimes when I am idling I can see the temperature gauge slowly increasing, and then when I start moving again it goes back down to normal temperature.
Are these problems related to the head gasket somehow?

I am afraid to drive it in case another hose will burst from not fixing the main problem, or maybe the radiator next time?

Thanks.

Saturday, May 6th, 2006 AT 11:01 PM

• Bruce Hunt

The bursting of the hose is not related to the head leak. The engine is older and hoses are neglected. They will burst but not because you have another problem to fix. I would deal with the problem at hand and by doing so you will avoid other costly repairs.

Sunday, May 7th, 2006 AT 10:12 PM
  • daviddahlb

I fixed the hose. Is that the problem at hand you are referring to?
Should I replace the rest of the hoses then?
Is replacing the head gasket the next step anyways?
Thanks in advance!

Monday, May 8th, 2006 AT 2:27 AM
  • Bruce Hunt

Head gasket is the next step. Think about when it is pulled off, replacing the timing belt, water pump, etc.

Monday, May 8th, 2006 AT 2:02 PM
  • Bruce Hunt

Your comment on the hoses: I would actually replace the lower hose. You should at the very least inspect every inch of it to assess the condition. Look for any nicks, bulges, hardening, etc.

Monday, May 8th, 2006 AT 2:04 PM
  • daviddahlb

Thank you Bruce.

Water pump and timing belt, new lower radiator hose. Any other items I should take care of while I got it apart? What is the "etc.&Quot; items that you are referring to?

I am pretty new to fixing my own auto stuffs.

Thanks.

Monday, May 8th, 2006 AT 5:16 PM
  • Bruce Hunt

Well in order to get to the stuff you need in order to take off the head, you must pretty much teardown the area where the timing covers are. Given the age, unless any of this stuff was done in recent years, I would replace the oil pump as well. It is right there too. Now, I might suggest that you get the manual for about $20 that covers what you are going to do. It can be bought online or from the local parts store. You can buy the parts online, say from ebay and not pay an arm and a leg. Seems like a lot of stuff for one simple task but get in once, get out and stay out. Simple philosophy.

Monday, May 8th, 2006 AT 9:36 PM
  • daviddahlb

Thanks Bruce, I'll let you know how it went.

Tuesday, May 9th, 2006 AT 9:19 PM