BRAKE REPAIR

Honda Accord

repifanio

March, 5, 2007 AT 8:55 AM

I just had my front brakes including rotors done at a local gas station. He charged me $380 to do the work. Is that a fair kprice?
97 Honda Accord. 63000 miles

Brake Rotor

Rotors

Bruce Hunt

March, 5, 2007 AT 1:36 PM

Truthfully, NO. The rotors were turned or replaced?

New rotors are about $40 or so each and pads run around $20 to $60 for a set of two. Installation takes about 30 minutes. Good money. I would want to know if the rotor was turned or replaced because experience with Honda is that the turning of the rotors is almost as waste of time. Replace them to eliminate pedal flutter as they are weaker and more prone to warpage.

repifanio

March, 5, 2007 AT 1:47 PM

He said he sent them out and had them turned

Bruce Hunt

March, 5, 2007 AT 1:49 PM

If you feel any thing like a brake pedal flutter you will know what is causing it. Did he put on ceramic pads? They are the more expensive high end pads available. Ask what you got.

lostinmars

March, 5, 2007 AT 9:09 PM

Actually if you knew the brake setup on this car you would know its fair. Pads from honda are $60 turn rotors $25 or so each, although I would of replaced them, and labor should be about $220 or so based on about 3.5 hours of labor.

You have to take the front bearing apart on this model to remove the rotor and this requires removing the steering knuckle.

Bruce Hunt

March, 6, 2007 AT 1:24 PM

As I said is correct and the cost was too high.

lostinmars

March, 13, 2007 AT 5:56 PM

So i'm still trying to figure out how the price was too high?

60 pads
50 cut rotors
220 labor

$330

also this is a good time to change the lower ball joints if they're starting to show some play.

Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement - Front
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement - Front
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement - Front
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement Chevrolet
Brake Pads/Rotor Replacement Chevy Silverado
Front Pad-Rotor Replacement Subaru Legacy
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement Ford Escape