90 ACCORD: 80 AMP BATTERY FUSE KEEPS BLOWING

• mezzyj
  • 1990 Honda Accord

Battery fuse keeps blowing when I attempt to connect battery to terminals. What equipment do I need (voltmeter, bulb test) and what should I be looking for?

Friday, May 18th, 2007 AT 10:51 AM

• autopop

Make sure you are not reversing polarity of cables and check for positive cable insulation to make sure it's not grounding and creating short.

Friday, May 18th, 2007 AT 11:49 AM
  • mezzyj

Polarity is correct, no problem with insulation.
I did have brakes, master cylinder and booster replaced by reputable dealer. The next day, the battery was dead. Jumped it and let it run, turned off engine and it started ok but 3 hrs later it was dead again. Replaced battery because I thought it wouldnt hold charge but sounds like it was being drained by a short. I connected the terminals to battery and blew the 80 amp battery fuse (correct polarity). How do I narrow down my search for the short? I do have a 12 tester with red and green light and a new 80 amp fuse.

Friday, May 18th, 2007 AT 12:32 PM
  • autopop

Inspect main fuse/relay box in engine compartment,
remove the mounting screws and place rag underneath and try to reconnect.
Let us know what you find out!

Saturday, May 19th, 2007 AT 11:11 AM