75000 mile suggestions/cost

JOEDIGITAL
  • 2012 HONDA ACCORD

1997 Honda Accord LX 5sp Wagon 73,800 mi
Honda is going to give me a tune-up at 75000 miles due to a recall (courtesy tune-up?). I never have the car serviced at the dealer because of the price. However, since it's going to be there, I wanted to ask them to quote/check some things. Can anyone suggest what else should be checked? So far, I have the following:
timing belt (dealer charges ~$480. Reasonable?)
valves: never been adjusted
front wheel bearings (making a whumping sound; would this also cause the car to shake/shudder slightly on take-off in first gear? I know CV joints can cause this.)

clutch was replaced about 1500 miles ago

Is there anything else I should look at?
How much should each of these cost to have done at a repair shop vs the dealer?

Monday, November 20th, 2006 AT 5:04 AM

BRUCE HUNT

Ok, first of all take advantage of the opportunity. They will probably make all kinds of recommendations of things that should be done.

I am going to reply to the whomping sound. I doubt it is a CV issue as they usually are most noteable when turning and they noise is more of a clicking sound. It could be a rotor and brake issue, but with a little more assistance from you we might be able to narrow that down.

The timing belt, I would be willing to pay the $400 fee but only if at the time I chose to have the repair done they also check the tensioner, replace the water pump, valve cover gasket and the grommets on the plugs wells.

Good luck.

Please consider a donation to help us answer more questions.
Wednesday, November 22nd, 2006 AT 7:02 AM
GOTTHUMB

Does the 480.00 include the parts?

Friday, November 24th, 2006 AT 3:58 PM
BRUCE HUNT

My $400 would include the parts.

Friday, November 24th, 2006 AT 6:44 PM