UPPER ARM REPLACEMENT
Special Tools Required Ball joint remover, 28 mm 07MAC-SL0A202
1. Remove the front damper.
2. Remove the wheel sensor bracket (A) from the upper arm (B).
3. Remove the cotter pin (A) from the upper arm ball joint, and loosen the nut (B).
4. Disconnect the upper arm ball joint from the knuckle using the ball joint remover
5. Remove the upper arm mounting bolts (A), and remove the upper arm (B).
6. Install the upper arm by inserting a rod (A) of appropriate size (O.D. 6 mm/L: 300 mm) into the positioning holes (B), and place the upper arm (C) on the rod to position it before tightening the upper arm mounting bolts.
7. Install the remaining parts in the reverse order of removal, and note these items:
Be careful not to damage the ball joint boot when installing the knuckle.
Before connecting the ball joint to the knuckle, degrease the threaded section and tapered portion of the ball joint pin, the knuckle connecting hole, the threaded section, and the mating surface of the castle nut.
Tighten all mounting hardware to specified torque values.
First install all the components and lightly tighten the bolts and nuts, then raise the suspension to load it with the vehicle's weight before fully tightening to the specified torque values. Do not place the jack against the ball joint pin of the knuckle.
Torque the castle nut to the lower torque specification, then tighten it only far enough to NOTE: During installation, insert the new cotter pin into the ball joint pin hole from the front to the rear of vehicle, and bend its end as shown below.
NOTE: During installation, install the new upper arm mounting bolts. align the slot with the ball joint pin hole. Do not align the castle nut by loosening it.
Install a new cotter pin on the castle nut after torquing.
Before installing the wheel, clean the mating surface on the brake disc and the inside of the wheel.
Check the front wheel alignment, and adjust it if necessary.
Friday, December 26th, 2008 AT 9:48 AM