2003 Honda Accord poor fuel economy

CRAUNICO
  • 2003 HONDA ACCORD
Car has no noises and runs smoothly with decent acceleration but only gets about 17 mpg mostlly highway driving.

could plugs and air cleaner, fuel filter be the cause of this as the have not been replaced

Friday, November 27th, 2009 AT 7:17 AM

KHLOW2008
Hi craunico,

Those items mentioned are the basics of tune ups and would affect the fuel consumption.

Is the Check Engine Light showing?
Friday, November 27th, 2009 AT 12:54 PM
CRAUNICO
The valves have always made a slight pecking noise at idle most noticible but have been told that was normal

The engine light is not on

thanks for your reply
Friday, November 27th, 2009 AT 7:15 PM
KHLOW2008
Minimal valve noise is acceptable but it would be good to heve thnm checked if you are going to perform a tune-up to check the fuel economy issues.

Without the CEL showing, there should be no engine mamangement problem so the tune up should be able to increase the fuel economy.
Saturday, November 28th, 2009 AT 5:06 AM
JYD1234
Hi there, I am having the same issues. I have less KMs (I'm in Canada) but I'm getting very poor fuel economy.

I've tried to do stuff myself - changed the air filter, changed the spark plugs (used OEM NGKs)

I can't change the fuel filter since I heard the fuel filter cannot really be changed with this model of Accord.

The check engine light isnt on, but I'm wondering if its time to change the 02 sensor? Anything else you can recommend to inspect / change?
Wednesday, December 23rd, 2009 AT 10:01 AM
KHLOW2008
Hi jyd1234,

Was anything done prior to the increase in consumption?

The fuel filter is located intank with the fuel pump and replacement is required if the fuel pressure falls below the minimum requirements.

If performance is decreased from previous, it would increase the fuel consumption and apart from the maintenance items replaced, the tires and wheel bearings should be checked.

If it is possible to get onto a diagnostic machime, you would be able to check if the O2 sensors are working correctly.
Wednesday, December 23rd, 2009 AT 2:18 PM
JYD1234
Nothing was done prior to the increase in consumption.

After we noticed the increase consumption, along with changing the air filter and spark plugs, We did change the tires. We put on brand new H rated tires.

How much do you think it would cost to inspect and get the fuel filter replaced on a 2003 Accord?

Thanks for the tip on the 02 sensor. A friend told me that if the check engine light hasn't come on yet (which it hasn't) then there is no need to check it. But some say a 02 sensor change could increase fuel consumption up to 15%. Is this true?
Wednesday, December 23rd, 2009 AT 3:28 PM
KHLOW2008
Replacement of the fuel fi;ter is listed at 1.3 hours and the list price of filter is $32.63.

Yes, inaccurate O2 sensor can cause higher fuel consumption.

Others items that you can check are :

1. Idling system, throttle body, IAC and other clogging of air passage can affect the fuel economy.

2. Valve clearance. Improper clearance is a possible cause.
Thursday, December 24th, 2009 AT 9:15 AM