2001 Honda Accord Gear Shift SOMETIMES Sticking in Park

EJO4304
  • 2001 HONDA ACCORD
I have a 2001 Honda Accord that has been a GREAT car until recently. Recently, my gear shift has been sticking in park sometimes-- not all the time or every time the car is turned on. When it does this, the button will still push in but the gear shift won't move from park. I usually just wait awhile and try again, sometimes it only takes one try and others it takes innumerable attempts. Once it goes into drive or reverse, the car runs fine and the transmission isn't slipping or making any noises. It shifts smoothly between gears at any speed. I think that it's a problem with one of the following: the brake switch, the shift cable, or a problem with the actual gear switch. I'm a woman and (no offense) but around here a lot of mechanics try to take me for a ride. Thanks:)
Saturday, March 7th, 2009 AT 12:11 AM

KHLOW2008
Hi ejo4304,

Seems the interlock system is malfunctioning and possible causes are :

1. Faulty brake switch. Check if the brake lights are working when the shift is stuck in Park. If not, you need to tst if the brake switch is faulty, it could be intermittently not working.

2. Interlock shift solenoid. If the brake lights are working and the shift lever is stuck in Park, with ignition key turned to ON, depress brake pedal and listen for a clicking noise near the gear shift. If there is no noise, either there is a malfunctioning soleanoid or wiring circuit.
If there is a clicking noise and you are not able to shift out of park, the solenoid could be restricted and not moving far enough for the locking tab to be moved to allow the shift lever to be moved out of Park.
-1
Saturday, March 7th, 2009 AT 1:47 PM
EJO4304
KHLow2008--
Thanks so MUCH! I took it the mechanic shortly after getting your message--I told them what you said you thought it may be and it was the brake switch. Thank you a thousand times! I'm sure if I hadn't gone in there with a little second hand knowledge, they would have told me it was a few hundred dollars in repairs.

Thank you again!

Ej
Saturday, March 7th, 2009 AT 4:14 PM
KHLOW2008
You are welcomed and glad we have been of service.

Feel free to drop by anytime you have any questions.

Have a nice day.
Saturday, March 7th, 2009 AT 10:26 PM