1999 Honda Accord Oil Leak and Engine Surging

LBLUNDELL
  • 1999 HONDA ACCORD
1999 Honda Accord 6 cyl Automatic 120000 miles

I just purchased a 1999 Honda Accord EX from a dealership. Less than a week later, I noticed a leak. It is located towards the front, on the right hand side not far from center. I brought it back to the dealer and they replaced the oil drain plug bolt but it is still leaking. It seems to leak after I have driven it and then stops after several hours of being parked. I also noticed a surging of the engine when parked. The rpm kept going up and back down, quickly. When I pressed the gas, it ended up stopping. Do you have any ideas as to what might be wrong?
Thursday, June 19th, 2008 AT 5:19 PM

ITSALLGOOD
There a few things that wil make the engine surge like that.
The first thing I would look for is a vacuum leak. Replace the PCV valve first, and make sure that the hose that is attached to it is not brittle or broken.
Thursday, June 19th, 2008 AT 10:04 PM
KHLOW2008
Hi lblundell,

If it is the drain plug, it will continue to leak no matter how long you park, the longer, the more oil will leak out.

I suspect it is an oil seal, most probably flywheel oil seal.
Friday, June 20th, 2008 AT 8:53 AM