OIL IN SPARK PLUGS, POOR GAS MILEAGE

1996 Honda Accord

mastiffs

August, 10, 2008 AT 8:29 PM

1996 Honda Accord 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 126000 miles

I have a 1996 honda accord LX with 126,000 miles on it. It went through a complete tune up when I bought it at 124,000. We found oil in the spark plugs, changed them along with everything else on the car (air filter, gas filter, oil filter) Car runs fine but after checking it again, we noticed the spark plugs are still full of oil. Nothing seems to be leaking out of the car. Any idea why and how to fix this?

Also, shouldn't a car like this get better than 22 miles per gallon?

Thanks for you help

obxautomedic

August, 10, 2008 AT 8:46 PM

The Oil in the plug holes is the grommets leaking and to fix it you will have to replace the Valve Cover Gasket it includes the grommets for the spark plug holes.

As far as the Milage concern, with the milage on the car and not knowing how well the previous owner or owners kept up with the maintenance schedule that is pretty good. It may also have to do with the Octane used using the lower octane can lower milage. Also not using the OE (Original Equipment) Plugs can make a difference.

Spark Plug Replacement Honda Element
Spark Plug Replacement Mercedes Benz ML500
Spark Plug Replacement Mercedes Benz C230
Spark Plug and Wire Replacement Ford Mustang
Spark Plug Replacement Ford Explorer 4.6L V8
Spark Plug Replacement Toyota Corolla 2000-20
Spark Plug Replacement Toyota Tacoma