MY CAR BURNS OIL

1996 Honda Accord

pollymex5000@gmail.com

December, 20, 2009 AT 11:39 PM

Smells problem
1996 Honda Accord 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 144, 00 miles

My engine doesn't leak oil, but it does burn it. I can smell it when I get out of the car after driving and I can see the oil line on the dip stick get lower and lower.

Can you tell me what this may be please?

Rings? Valves, Head gasket? I wonder?

98 Leaking/burning Oil

Uses Oil

Msesky

December, 21, 2009 AT 2:22 AM

Check tube seals, in other words remove your plugs, if the threads are oily replace seals. Hondas also have a bad habit of internal dizzy leaks, but you should be able to see that

pollymex5000@gmail.com

December, 21, 2009 AT 3:47 AM

Thanks for the tip on the spark plugs. I can handle that. But Im not sure what a " dizzy leak" is. Can you explain that to me?

I will shop around for a Honda Book.

I sure hope this is not a major repair because I realized I payed more than NADA values it and I don't want to drop a lot of money into it on top of that.

Thanks, Polly

Msesky

December, 21, 2009 AT 2:26 PM

Um im in new zealand so im not sure what the set up on your hondas are. But usually on the left hand side of the head there is a black capped distributor. Feel underneath it and if its wet you have a leak. But this leak can either be internmal or external.

pollymex5000@gmail.com

December, 22, 2009 AT 9:50 AM

I checked my engine yesterday. Its a V-6 and on one side of the case there was dried up black gunk (oil). It was kind of hard to see the other side, but I think it didn't have oil on it.

I think I'll buy some engine cleaner and wash it. Then I can better determine where the oil is burning.

Polly in Colorado, USA

Crankcase Ventilation System
Oil Change and Filter Replacement - Ford F150
Oil Change and Filter Replacement Toyota
Ignition System Test Guide