1996 HONDA ACCORD MY CAR BURNS OIL

• pollymex5000@gmail.com
  • 1996 Honda Accord

Smells problem
1996 Honda Accord 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 144, 00 miles

My engine doesn't leak oil, but it does burn it. I can smell it when I get out of the car after driving and I can see the oil line on the dip stick get lower and lower.

Can you tell me what this may be please?

Rings? Valves, Head gasket? I wonder?

Sunday, December 20th, 2009 AT 11:39 PM

• Msesky

Check tube seals, in other words remove your plugs, if the threads are oily replace seals. Hondas also have a bad habit of internal dizzy leaks, but you should be able to see that

Monday, December 21st, 2009 AT 2:22 AM
  • pollymex5000@gmail.com

Thanks for the tip on the spark plugs. I can handle that. But Im not sure what a "dizzy leak" is. Can you explain that to me?

I will shop around for a Honda Book.

I sure hope this is not a major repair because I realized I payed more than NADA values it and I don't want to drop a lot of money into it on top of that.

Thanks, Polly

Monday, December 21st, 2009 AT 3:47 AM
  • Msesky

Um im in new zealand so im not sure what the set up on your hondas are. But usually on the left hand side of the head there is a black capped distributor. Feel underneath it and if its wet you have a leak. But this leak can either be internmal or external.

Monday, December 21st, 2009 AT 2:26 PM
  • pollymex5000@gmail.com

I checked my engine yesterday. Its a V-6 and on one side of the case there was dried up black gunk (oil). It was kind of hard to see the other side, but I think it didn't have oil on it.

I think I'll buy some engine cleaner and wash it. Then I can better determine where the oil is burning.

Polly in Colorado, USA

Tuesday, December 22nd, 2009 AT 9:50 AM