1996 Honda Accord changing water pump

GRADMATT72
  • 1996 HONDA ACCORD
Do I have to pull the motor to replace the waterpump on my 1996 Honda Accord? One of the problems I have is that the car overheats when driving down the freeway with the air on. The car can idle for 2 or more hours in the driveway with the air on and not overheat. I can also drive it around town with the air on and it does not overheat. I got the car from a family memeber who had previous engine work done by a mechanic, the mechanic replaced seals, timing belt and thermastat. I have flushed the radiator and replaced the coolant. The waterpump is my next thing to do. What do you guys think. Any help you could give me would be greatly appriciated. Thank you, Grady Matthews
Thursday, July 24th, 2008 AT 8:34 PM

SERVICE WRITER
Iif this is a 1.5 then"
'by pass the fan swicth on the thermostat
housing to see if the fan works. If it does when the connector is shorted then replace the switch.

Otherwise post the size.

Doesn't sound like a waterpump. Rarely are the fins corroded to cause this. But possible.
Thursday, July 24th, 2008 AT 8:48 PM
GRADMATT72
The engine size is 2.2 4cyl, both fans work when engine reaches a temperature
Thursday, July 24th, 2008 AT 8:52 PM
SERVICE WRITER
Since the engine is under more duress when the overheat occurs, it may be a head or block problem that is not showing until it is.

One way to tell if it still has a leak is to drive it on the highway but before it gets into the red zone on the gauge, pull it over safely and look for overflow into the overflow tank-bubbles or rising level in the tank is a sure sign of block or head leakage.
Make sure cap is good.
Friday, July 25th, 2008 AT 5:18 AM