Brakes keep locking up

LANCEBRITTNY
  • 1995 HONDA ACCORD

Brakes problem 4 cyl Automatic 150000 miles

My front brakes keep locking up on my 95 honda Accord LX. I have replaced the brake pads, brake hoses, and the driver side brake caliper(remanufactured part) and they still are locking up on me. It will start smoking and smells really bad. People told us that the brake hoses inside lining will collapse and make it difficult to suck in the brake fluid, so we replaced both driver and passenger side brake hoses. I am not sure what else it could be. The back brakes are not locking up so I dont think its the master cylinder but I could be wrong.

Both front brakes lock up, sometimes the right, sometimes the left. Yes, it usually happens after driving a few miles. Yes, I have to loosen up the bleeder bolt in order to continue driving. I'm pretty sure it is equipped with ABS.

Please help!

Tuesday, July 14th, 2009 AT 11:54 AM

KHLOW2008

If you have an orange indicator light on the dash with the words ABS, then it is equipped. If that is the case, most probably the ABS master pump is causing the problem.

If without ABS, the Proportioning Control Valve could be the cause.

Either system, check the brake pedal to pushrod clearance. Insufficient clearance could cause the brakes to lock. If you had replaced or adjused the brake switch, recheck the switch adjustment.

+3
Wednesday, July 15th, 2009 AT 9:45 AM
LANCEBRITTNY

Yea it has no ABS. I'm seeing a lot about the prop valve and the pushrod adjustment. Are these two things different? Where can I find them on my car, and do they need to be adjusted a certain way? Sorry to be a pian. I will donate more when I find the solution. Thank You.

+1
Wednesday, July 15th, 2009 AT 1:29 PM
KHLOW2008

Without ABS means different problem source.

Proportion Control Valve is located on firewall behind the engine and no adjustment is possible. It seldom causes such problems and I would suggest checking the pedal free travel first.

Here are procedures for pedal height and free travel adjustment.

BRAKE PEDAL HEIGHT & FREE PLAY
Pedal Height
1. Disconnect brake switch connector. Loosen brakelight switch lock nut and back off switch until it no longer touches brake pedal. Remove floor mat and measure pedal height from left side center of pedal pad.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/192750_BrakePedalHeight95Accord_1.jpg

2. Loosen brake pedal push rod lock nut, and screw push rod in or out until correct pedal height is obtained and tighten lock nut.

BRAKE PEDAL HEIGHT SPECIFICATIONS
Auto. Trans. = 7.60 (193) In. (mm)
Man. Trans. = 7.56 (192) In. (mm)

Free Play
With engine off, check brake pedal free play by pushing pedal by hand. Free play should be 1/16- 13/64" (1-5 mm). If pedal free play is out of specification, adjust brake switch.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/192750_BrakePedalFreePlay95Accordfig02_1.jpg

Thank you for the offer of additional donations and if there is anyhing else that youneed to know, just reply to post and I will get back to you when I am online.

+4
Thursday, July 16th, 2009 AT 9:56 AM
TYRONEY
  • 1995 HONDA ACCORD

My drivers side break keep locking up. It's only my drivers side break that lock up. I've replaced the caliper already. I don't know what to do at this point. The car does have ABS.

Friday, November 17th, 2017 AT 6:28 PM (Merged)

Check to see if your hose leading to the brake caliper is collapsed. It may not be letting fluid go back after a brake application.

TYRONEY

I'm pretty sure the hose isn't collapsed since brake fluid goes through it fine.

The collapse on teh inside wher eyou can't see them and they will go through when pressure is applied but not when it is released

TYRONEY

Okay so should I just but a new break hose? Also would you mind giving instructions on how to properly change it?

Make sure your caliper isn't frozen on either side then if you replace it it's just a bolt in operation. You need to bleed the brake system after replaceing though and you cnafind that here under repairs.

TYRONEY

By frozen what do you mean?

The piston won't move in the caliper and one side of the brake pads will be worn more than the other side.

ALAN FLEMON
  • 1995 HONDA ACCORD

Replace line, caliper, pads and front brakes are locking up.

TYRONEY

Yeah the inner side was worn more both times.

This sounds like a bad brake hose with age and mileage of vehicle you should replace both of them. If not that it may be the antilock unit locking the front brakes so it should show a code.

KHLOW2008

The slider bolts are stuck or frozen. This would not allow the caliper to move freely and wear the pads more on the inner side.

TYRONEY

So replace the slider bolts or just lube them up?

Replace and lube them as well as doing a brake job on this.

VA_CH
  • 1993 HONDA ACCORD

Brakes problem
1993 Honda Accord 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 160000 miles

I have a Honda Accord 1993 LX. Lately I find the brakes locking up. What could be possible reasons for it. I dont have ABS.

+1

Where do you feel it - front or back?

-1
TYRONEY

Okay. Are there instructions on replacing the slider bolts on here too?
Just to make sure, the things I'm changing are: slider bolts, break pads, and break hose.