S LIGHT

1990 Honda Accord

Tim Helmstetter

October, 1, 2008 AT 5:03 PM

1990 Honda Accord 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 149000 miles

The S light comes on on the dash when I press the brake, if I push the S button on the shifter the light doesn't come on. Also it wont shift out of park unless I us the shift lock key. Also if I start out in D4 the car doesn't want to move real good, but I can shift the shifter down to L1 and it will go but it is in 2nd. Then when I get going shift it two D3 but when I shift to D4 it doesn, t change the trans. Shift.
I ran a hot and ground wire to the Shift solinoid but nothing happened. Is the Transmission Bad, or what. Can you help

October, 2, 2008 AT 11:08 AM

Hi Tim,

Thank you for the donation.

When you are unable to shift out of park, the interlock is not working. Check for a blown brake fuse or bad brake switch.

You cannot apply any direct power to the shift solenoids. They are controlled by the TCM and if the 'S' is blinking when moving, there should be some problem which you need to retrieve the DTC.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/192750_SCS93Accord_2.jpg

With the SCS bridged and ignition switch turned to on, count the number of blinks at the 'S' light and come back with the readings.
Long blinks = 10 whereas
short ones = 1.

Tim Helmstetter

October, 2, 2008 AT 12:15 PM

I already replaced the brake switch at the pedal and I checked all the fuses. The S light is not blinking it just stays on when the button is not pushed and I hit the brake pedal.

October, 2, 2008 AT 2:22 PM

You mean the 'S' Light would come on when you depress the brake pedal?

Can you switch the light off?

Cabin Air Filter Replacement
Open Hood Video