CAR SHAKES WHEN STARTING OFF IN FIRST GEA

1990 Honda Accord

epg2008

August, 16, 2008 AT 2:26 PM

Shakes or Wobbles problem
1990 Honda Accord 4 cyl Manual 220000 miles

Car shakes/vibrates when starting off in first gear and also when accelerating around 2000 rpm regardless of gear. Already installed new cv joints/half shafts and changed the spark plugs. A mechanic said the motor mounts are good. The problem is a lot less noticeable during hard acceleration. Any ideas?

August, 16, 2008 AT 8:23 PM

Hi epg2008,

Your symptoms are similar to what a malfunctioning EGR system creates.

Check the EGR valve and its passage under it from the exhaust to see if it is clogged.

epg2008

August, 18, 2008 AT 6:20 PM

Thanks for the response KHLow2008. I checked the egr valve and the exhaust port. Both were fouled but not blocked. Cleaned them both but the shaking and vibration still exists. It would be nice to have an error code to assist in the troubleshooting but there are none. I am stumped. The car idles fine, runs good at 60 mph but is terrible starting off and accelerating.

August, 19, 2008 AT 8:17 AM

Hi epg2008,

Check the condition of the spark plugs again and try switching them around among the cylinders.

Check the EGR control solenoid for abnormal operations.

Sometimes the problem requires the EGR to be replaced. Before doing that, give the vehicle a good runaround.

Front Pad-Rotor Replacement Subaru Legacy
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement - Front BMW M3
Brake Pad and Rotor Replacement
Brake Pad/Brake Rotor Replacement - Rear
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement Toyota Tacoma
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement Mercedes ML
Brake Pads and Rotor Replacement - Front
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement