1988 Honda Accord Replaced CVC Transmission and Fifth Gear

CORY COSTNER
  • 1988 HONDA ACCORD
I am not trying to insult anyone with the donation that I am offering but all I have is that amount and this is my only car. A year ago we replaced the cvc joints first, because it acted like the cvc joints were going out, clicking when it turns either way, car drove smooth for awhile, then fifth gear went out, sheared down to nothing, with no grinding or any other noise, we replaced just the fifth gear, car ran smooth the first time we drove it, then the second time we took it out fourth gear went out, we drove it until we could replace the transmission, when we did we got a used transmissiona but we checked it out and everything was fine, put it in and car drove smooth for a few weeks, then the wobble and shake in the front end started again, drove it like that for a few months, and just the other day was driving to go out of town and was in the fifth gear when fifth gear went out again, with no noise at all just sounded like I was running in neutral, took off the outside plate on the transmission and fifth gear was sheared to nothing again What is the prolem, what can we do to fix it
Saturday, October 30th, 2010 AT 3:03 PM

KHLOW2008
Hi Cory Costner,

For the 5th gear to shear off, the most likely cause would be insufficient lubrication.

Was the gear oil at the correct level?
Saturday, October 30th, 2010 AT 3:06 PM
CORY COSTNER
Thank you for your reponse. But why would the cvc would be going out already, we got the wobble in the front end again and shakes and when we turn either way there is clicking and we replaced cvc joints already. Before the fifth gear went out I was smelling gear oil real bad, when it went it was even stronger?
Saturday, October 30th, 2010 AT 3:18 PM
KHLOW2008
Seems there was a leakage somewhere resulting in loss of oil in the trans ans causing the 5th gear to fail.

Vibrations are due to bad CV inner joints. Were the boots secured well? If CV boots were not tightened correctly, the grease would spill out and resulting in premature wear of the joints.

Torn boots would likewise produce same reaults.
Saturday, October 30th, 2010 AT 3:30 PM
CORY COSTNER
Yes CV was secure when installed and boots were fine, would the CV need to be replaced if we lube the trans with gear oil properly, and if we don't replace the CV right away could it make the fifth gear go out again?
Saturday, October 30th, 2010 AT 3:54 PM
KHLOW2008
The CV joints have nothing to do with the 5th gear getting damaged. The only thing that can happen is when the oils sel at the CV joint is bad resulting in oil leakages.

CV joints can still be used if lubricated but if there are excessive wear of the inner joints, the shaft would be unbalanced and that would result in vibrations and possibly cause oil leakages due to the shaft moving too much on its seat.

If outer CV joints noises are not too loud when turning, they would not cause any problem but if the noise becomes very loud, then there is a possibility the joints could fail if the bearings were to become dislodged.
Sunday, October 31st, 2010 AT 1:55 AM