1988 Holden Camira Cooling Fan not working

GEOFF59
  • 1988 HOLDEN CAMIRA

Engine Cooling problem
1988 Holden Camira 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 262500 miles

It appears that my cooling fan is not working. I have replaced the temperature sensor unit and checked the relay. When I connect the cooling fan wires directly to the battery it runs OK. I had a fault code 14 which indicates low voltage. I reset the diagnostic code and ran the engine for 60 seconds as recommened by my workshop manual and checked the code and it was 12 = OK. I also checked the voltage between the sensor terminals and it was 5 volts which is betwen the recommened 4-6 volts. The only thing I have not checked is for continuity between the sensor connector and the C10 on the control unit. Normally when I switch on the air conditioning compressor and switch on the ignition or run the engine the cooling fan runs, but now it does not. Also when shorting A/B on the diagnostic unit and I switch on the ignition the cooling fan should run but it does not. On my JD it does run. I have also swapped the relay and no difference.

Saturday, March 13th, 2010 AT 2:13 AM

MMPRINCE4000

You are going to have to check the wiring in the fan circuit, you may have an open wire due to frayed insultion, or heat stress.

Please consider a donation to help us answer more questions.
Monday, March 15th, 2010 AT 8:40 AM

Help us by donating