1988 HOLDEN CAMIRA COOLING FAN NOT WORKING

• Geoff59
  • 1988 Holden Camira

Engine Cooling problem
1988 Holden Camira 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 262500 miles

It appears that my cooling fan is not working. I have replaced the temperature sensor unit and checked the relay. When I connect the cooling fan wires directly to the battery it runs OK. I had a fault code 14 which indicates low voltage. I reset the diagnostic code and ran the engine for 60 seconds as recommened by my workshop manual and checked the code and it was 12 = OK. I also checked the voltage between the sensor terminals and it was 5 volts which is betwen the recommened 4-6 volts. The only thing I have not checked is for continuity between the sensor connector and the C10 on the control unit. Normally when I switch on the air conditioning compressor and switch on the ignition or run the engine the cooling fan runs, but now it does not. Also when shorting A/B on the diagnostic unit and I switch on the ignition the cooling fan should run but it does not. On my JD it does run. I have also swapped the relay and no difference.

Saturday, March 13th, 2010 AT 2:13 AM

• mmprince4000

You are going to have to check the wiring in the fan circuit, you may have an open wire due to frayed insultion, or heat stress.

Monday, March 15th, 2010 AT 8:40 AM