Hard steering

ANK1981
  • 1997 DODGE AVENGER
I replaced the power steering pump, replaced the power steering hose and also replaced the rack and pinion. After installation I went to go bleed the system of course had the front wheels off the ground. The problem i'm having is bleeding the system. I have done left to right 15-20 times still air bubbles in the reservoir I go turn the engine one with the cap on the reservoir. Still having issues bubbles still forming. At one point it foamed out. So what am I doing wrong and what can I do to get these bubbles out so I can drive without hard steering?
Tuesday, January 12th, 2021 AT 5:11 PM

KEN
You are doing nothing wrong the system self bleeds instantly. The problem is the system is sucking in air from the pump seal, I would get another unit (high quality). Here is a guide to help you step by step with instructions in the diagrams below to show you how on your car. Check out the diagrams (below). Let us know what happens and please upload pictures or videos of the problem.
Wednesday, January 13th, 2021 AT 5:54 PM
ANK1981
Okay, thanks a bunch that really helps a lot.
Wednesday, January 13th, 2021 AT 6:01 PM
ANK1981
I ordered a new pump earlier today and even with a new pump can still fail just blows my mind.
Wednesday, January 13th, 2021 AT 6:03 PM
KEN
Please let us know what happens.
Thursday, January 14th, 2021 AT 9:06 AM
ANK1981
Sure will.
Thursday, January 14th, 2021 AT 9:12 AM
ANK1981
Good evening, I have finally got my new pump and installed this evening still have to flush out the system. Well, while installing the new pump I was looking at the diagrams you sent me and where the pressure hose connects to the top part of the pump I noticed it has 2 o-rings well the first one I had I only installed just one o-ring. So, i'm thinking when trying to bleed the system it wasn't getting the air out i'm thinking instead the pump was allowing more air into the system. Thinking to myself I bled the system and why it took longer than it should have. I did in fact install the 2 o-rings and connected the hoses and hopefully everything going better.
Monday, January 18th, 2021 AT 4:56 PM
KEN
The system is self bleeding so you know. Let me know if the problem goes away.
Wednesday, January 20th, 2021 AT 12:52 PM

Sponsored links