4 WHEEL DRIVE NOT WORKING

1992 GMC Truck

hands32

January, 3, 2009 AT 11:55 AM

Drive Train Axles Bearings problem
1992 GMC Truck 6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Manual 180000 miles

I have a 92' GMC 1/2-ton, 4-wheel drive with 180000 miles on her.

My 4-wheel drive went out a few years ago and I am now just looking into getting it repaired, when it went out it just stopped working, no noisy sounds or anything to tell me that I had a serious problem. The indicator light on the shifter went out and that was the end of the 4-wheel.

I just recently checked the actuator and it was not working, we replaced the actuator and still nothing.

One question I have is what could it be and what will it take to fix it. (When I purchased the pickup the previous owner turned up the torsion bars, the CV axles at the main axle now have a 1/2" to 1" space between the main axle and the flanges on the CV axles).

My main question. Some folks are telling me to swap my axle out and put in a soild front axle? What would this take and what would be the costs?

Thank you for your help.

BO

mickey-d

Don't swap ! If you can live with 2wd, just pull the front drive shaft out. Did you check the actuator to see if it had power? Also check any switches out. It has to be something simple.

Drive Shaft Removal - All Cars
Automatic Transmission Service
Transmission Service Toyota Tacoma
Transmission Mount Replacement - RWD Cars