A/C NOT COLD ANYMORE

2000 GMC Sonoma

traumatt24

May, 8, 2010 AT 6:21 AM

Air Conditioning problem
2000 GMC Sonoma 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 95000 miles

I have a 2000 GMC Sonoma V6 4.3L. I got the truck at like 40,000 miles 7 years ago, A/C worked fine except it used a lot of gas and robbed engine power. So I used my a/c sparingly. After a while, I never used my a/c. At the most I turned it on maybe once a year for a few years. For the past 3-4 years, I would turn it on like once a year to see if it worked. I heard the clutch come on, but over the years it began to blow warmer air. This past week, I wanted to see if I needed just a recharge because I am going on a trip. I turned on the a/c and the clutch wouldn't engage now. I bought one of those recharge kits at and auto store, and my friend helped me out. Put a little bit in and the a/c clutch turned on, but it appears that I already had enough refrigerant. Do I need to evacuate the system now and start with new refrigerant? Because it doesn't blow cold air.

merlin2021

May, 8, 2010 AT 8:35 AM

You probably do not have enough freon in the system yet.
One can is not enough, and the only way to tell is with a manifold gauge set attached to read the high and low side readings. Clutch cycling frequently? That means freon is low.

traumatt24

May, 8, 2010 AT 11:51 AM

My only problem with adding more refrigerant, is my pressure is already where it should be, and yes the compressor is cycling frequently. I don't want to overcharge my system. That is why I am wondering that since I rarely used my a/c, I didn't let the oil and refrigerant circulate. Should I go get it evacuated and recharged?

merlin2021

May, 8, 2010 AT 11:14 PM

If it's cycling frequently it means the low pressure cutout switch is detecting low pressure, this happens when there isn't enough freon, add more. USE manifold gauges, not refrigerant bottles with a dial.

Air Conditioner Recharge - Simple
Blend Door Actuator Replacement