1998 GMC SONOMA INTERIOR LIGHTS STOPPED WORKING.

• Scrarjg
  • 1998 GMC SONOMA

1998 GMC Sonoma 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 153000 miles

I'm sure it was something I did and I'd like to see if it can be fixed. The vanity lights on the sunvisors were staying on even when in the up positions. Looks like the little pin switches wore out so, I clipped the wires to the lights and removed the lights so, just the wires are left. Now my dome, map or under dash lights do not come on. Any ideas? I tried connecting the wires on each of the visors together but, no joy.

TIA

Tuesday, May 18th, 2010 AT 5:40 PM

• Bluelightnin6

Hello and thanks for donating

When you wired those together you most likely blew the fuse for the interior lights circuit since they share the same circuitry. Until those wires are wired back properly they will continue blowing the fuse if you replace it with new.

Wednesday, May 19th, 2010 AT 2:14 PM
  • Scrarjg

What exactly would the fuse be called? I haven't had a chance to check them yet.

Wednesday, May 19th, 2010 AT 6:32 PM
  • Bluelightnin6

Check fuse #8 labeled CTSY LAMP, 10 amp. If its OK then check out the Inadvertent power lamp relay and also the courtesy lamp relay, both located in the body bussed electrical center (BBEC). The BBEC is behind the left side of the dash, near the instrument panel fuse block.

Wednesday, May 19th, 2010 AT 7:12 PM