2000 GMC Sierra Truck doesn't start periodically.

• 1 POST
  • 2000 GMC SIERRA

Engine problem
2000 GMC Sierra V8 Four Wheel Drive Automatic 76691 miles

My truck died one day and we found the electrical harness came loose from the front cowling and shorted on the alternator. I have replaced the alternator, battery (because it melted), and the starter twice. They are AC Delco starters. I have also replaced the starter relay. The volt meter has always been a little low (12-13) since the "incident". This morning the truck would not crank. Good battery, lights, etc. But nothing when I turned the key. Got home tonight and nothing again. I went on-line to your site, gave a donation, went back out to check the mileage for registration, tried the key just for laughs, and it started! Not the knock down power you would expect from a 7.4L big block GM but it cranked just the same. What's up?

Tuesday, January 22nd, 2008 AT 6:17 PM

Double check the connections at the starter relay, sometimes they are a little loose causing intermittent connections, I use a pick and pry them together a little to make sure there is a good connection. Also when this happens again check for voltage at the ground terminal of the relay, these trucks have a common problem of losing this ground. Then check back with us.

Tuesday, January 22nd, 2008 AT 6:22 PM