P0251 INJECTION PUMP FUEL METERING CONTROL "A" MA

• Jasonl
  • GMC SAVANA

I pulled this code - P0251 Injection Pump Fuel Metering Control "A" Malfunction
(Cam/Rotor/Injector) but I have no clue where to start or what to fix can somebody help me? It is a 1998 gmc 3500 savana van with the 6.5 turbo deisel I am lost and need some guidence please

Tuesday, July 24th, 2007 AT 7:11 PM

• Cly

Did the light just come on? Did you change the fuel filter or run out of fuel by any chance? Any drivability problems?

Cly

-1
Tuesday, July 24th, 2007 AT 7:21 PM
  • Jasonl

I have changed the fuel filter. It just started doing this about a week ago. I have pulled the fuel tank off and cleaned everything. I have tried to research where to look or what to look for but no luck so far. I am just wondering were the electrical circuit is located to even find the malfunction. If you might know or even have a idea where to start I would be very happy. Thanks for the help.

Jason

Tuesday, July 24th, 2007 AT 9:13 PM
  • Cly

The electrical side of it has curciuts that run from the Powertrain control module to the Optical fuel temperature sensor. If there is air the the fuel system the light will come on. Make sure fuel system is free of air.I would suspect that the optical sensor is faulty. I dont believe that it is service seperatly from the fuel injection pump...

Here is a schamatic of the curcuits.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/86485_195167_1.jpg

Here is a pic of the pump assembly. Optical fuel temp semsor is #1

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/86485_192955_2.jpg

Hope this helps

Cly

+1
Wednesday, July 25th, 2007 AT 5:09 AM
  • Jasonl

Yes that does help. I will try to see if there is air in the system and try again. And I am guessing that part is on the top right side of the motor and can that sensor be replaced or if that is the problem am I just S.O.L

thanks for helping me so far

jason

Wednesday, July 25th, 2007 AT 5:42 AM
  • Cly

I think that it comes with the unit but I would still make some calls and see if maybe they are avalible seperatly.

Cly

+1
Wednesday, July 25th, 2007 AT 5:49 AM
  • Jasonl

Thanks for all your help. I hope I can be as helpful sometime

jason

Wednesday, July 25th, 2007 AT 7:59 PM