1996 GMC Savana Engine wont start

SONNY721
  • 1996 GMC SAVANA
The problem that Im having is that the engine is cranking but not starting. I replaced everything new: battery, starter, spark plugs, spark plug wires, fuel filter, fuel pump, fuel pump relay, ignition coil, ignition module, distributor cap and rotor, new engine control module, crankshaft sensor, pick-up coil sensor. Everything that I can think of that would cause the engine not to start. Please help me out, Im stumped. I hope my problem was very descriptive of the problem.
Wednesday, October 14th, 2009 AT 6:54 PM

BIG_JAY
I need some basic info. What is the fuel pressure while you are cranking or right after the fuel pump primes? I also need you to put a spark checker on it and see make sure you are getting spark to the plugs. An easy way to eliinate the fuel system is spray some starter fluid in the throttle body and see if it fires.
Wednesday, October 14th, 2009 AT 7:17 PM
SONNY721
The fuel pressure is about 60psi and it doesn't drop after about 20 minutes. Oh yeah its getting plenty of spark at the coil and the spark plugs very nice amount of spark. Now would the starting fluid damage the catalyc converter?
Thanks for your help.
Wednesday, October 14th, 2009 AT 7:28 PM
BIG_JAY
No the starter fliuid will not damage anything. It is a god way to test if you maybe got sme bad gas or your injectors arent working. Please why some1 is cranking the car try and spray a little bit of starter fluid into the throttle body.
Wednesday, October 14th, 2009 AT 7:41 PM
SONNY721
Im afraid that the starting fluid will damage the converter. I did try squirting fuel in the throttle body and the engine did sputtered a little bit. What could be the problem? Have you experienced this problem before with a similar vehicle? This problem happened before and it was the ECM but I just replaced it with a new one. The starting problem occured a few times and started fine until after it got worse and not start at all now.
Wednesday, October 14th, 2009 AT 7:53 PM
BIG_JAY
Why do you think it wil affect the cat? Yes I have seen this problem before but I want to make sure the car runs before I go any further. Any ther mechanics here on the forum feel free to chime n if you see any problems with starter fluid. It is a good way to test and is better then pouring gas into a throttle body because a puddle of gas has alot better chance of igniting a fire then a few squirts of sarter fluid.
Wednesday, October 14th, 2009 AT 8:01 PM
SONNY721
I finally got the engine to start and it ran excellent better than ever after installing the new fuel injector spider system CSFI to MPI conversion! After I drove the van about 200 miles it acted up again, what elese could be causing this engine from starting?
Wednesday, October 28th, 2009 AT 3:21 PM