HESITATION

2000 GMC Safari

TempestT-37

May, 1, 2008 AT 10:36 AM

2000 GMC Safari 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 114k miles

Problem:
I have a 2000 safari with 115K miles. A few of months ago I noticed a jerk (hesitation) while driving. I would have the cruse on and the van would jerk sporadically, it did not constantly do it. Now it also does it when I accelerate. I feel it does it more when it is cold out, I have not determined if it happen more when there is less fuel in the tank. I have narrowed it down to engine; I can still feel/hear the hesitation when the van is in park.
The other problem I have is with acceleration. The engine revs up but the van does not move as fast as I feel it should be, then after 30 to 45 second it catches up. It feels like the trany is in two gears at the same time or the torch converter is not completely engaged. If I let up on the gas it catches up sooner. I hope this makes sense.

What I have done:
Recently I have replaced the coil, spark plugs and spark plug wires. Around 75k I had the injector cleaned and the trany flushed. I did replace the fuel filter 1 or 2 years ago.

mastertechtim

May, 1, 2008 AT 11:05 AM

Did you replace the cap and rotor? Also try spraying brake cleaner at the mass air flow sensor(not a lot, just enough to get it wet) can you have the engie scanned to make sure there are no codes stored and get back to us.

TempestT-37

May, 1, 2008 AT 11:38 AM

Replacing the cap and rotor was my next step. Where can I get the engine scanned at? Thanks for the quick reply.

mastertechtim

May, 2, 2008 AT 5:37 AM

Definitely replace the cap and rotor. You can get the car scanned usually at autozone for free.

TempestT-37

May, 2, 2008 AT 6:09 PM

The code was po300

mastertechtim

May, 3, 2008 AT 1:27 PM

Thats a random engine misfire that could be caused by a bad cap and rotor

Vacuum Leak Test and Repair - All Cars
Mass Air Flow Sensor Clean Toyota Tacoma
Mass Air Flow Sensor Clean Ford Explorer 1995
Easily Clean Your Throttle Bore Like a Pro