FLYWHEEL BREAK

GMC S15

88 Chevy camaro350

August, 21, 2007 AT 11:16 AM

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/94379_flywheel_1.jpg

I have a 1987 S15 4x4 with 125,768 miles but i just bought it from someone who said the tranny was blown. After some investigation i found the flywheel to be broken in a wierd way. The lady said the truck ran untill she shut it off so i don't belive the crank is broken however the bolts holding the tranny in place were so loose it took maybe 4 turns of the finger to remove them, My question is could that have caused the flywheel to break at the attachment bolts or could it be because the tranny locked up. The tranny seems to turn fine although i haven't had it turning because i need to replace the flywheel i just don't want to replace it only to have it fly into the cab. Any help would be much appreciated as i have never experienced this problem.

Cly

August, 21, 2007 AT 5:13 PM

I have seen that problem before on trucks and on the older rear wheel drive cars. I would bet that that thing was making noise for sometime before it let go. If it was mine I would stick a new one in there and go.

Note: I would replace the flywheel and torque converter bolts and use locktight on them.

Cly

88 Chevy camaro350

August, 21, 2007 AT 9:18 PM

If u have seen it before what was the cause? The flywheel and torque converter bolts were pretty tight although the tranny bolts to the block were loose and it looks as though there was a little work done under there so maybe they didn't tighten them. But thanks for the reply and the help I guess I will sling a new one in her and see what we get.

Cly

August, 22, 2007 AT 4:32 AM

It is hard to say what causes this but it starts off as a small crack and if not addressed quickly then you get the result that you see. It could have been that the car back-fired while attempting to start it or maybe a casting flaw it is hard to tell. But I have done several of these without any additional problems.

Cly

88 Chevy camaro350

August, 22, 2007 AT 8:51 AM

Ok then thanks for the responses and your time you've been very helpful to me. I just wanted to make sure it wasn't something else before reinstalling the new flywheel. Thank you very much

Clutch/Flywheel/Rear Main Seal Replacement
Starter Replacement
Pulling an Auto Trans? Easy Instructions