RED HOT CATALYTIC CONVERTER

GMC

lnebckr01

I have a 94 delta 88 royale oldsmobile and i've been having a problem. Aside from my catalytic converter getting red hot and smoking, my car shakes at speeds id say anywhere over 37 mph. When I keep constant acceleration for a few seconds, the front end starts shaking. When I take my foot off the gas, it goes away, when I put more gas on, it goes away. I dont feel the shaking coming from the steering wheel or either side of the car. When I turn while it is shaking, it stays, so I thought it couldnt be the cv joints. Ive changed the plugs recently and cleaned the wires, oil and trans fluid are great. Trans is only a few years old. I ran a diagnostics tester and I got no codes. I know hot converters can be caused by rich mixtures and the diagnostics tool flashed between lean and rich but never stayed on either. I checked the MAF and O2 sensor computer connectors and they looked fine. I am guessing it could be the front oxygen sensor gone bad itself, but could this cause the shaking? What about fuel injectors? Any help would be awesome! Thanks a lot!

palco

It wasn't giving you any missfire codes? Hmmmm? Red hot can also be to lean if the converter is clogged. Good luck

lnebckr01

Changed the 02 sensor, no change.
Any other suggestions?

lnebckr01

Does anyone know what problems a damaged lock up torque converter or the tcc solenoid cause?

DARRYL

Hmmm Check the EGR valve, I think a fault valve will heat up the converter also. If the lockup clutch stays engaged it will more than likely burn out the lining and send particles of it through out your trans.
Good luck
Darryl.

lnebckr01

I fixed it, 1 of the 3 coil packs was bad, 20 bucks and the car runs like new

mvannessjr

January, 25, 2006 AT 12:45 AM

Glad you got it fixed.

As for your question about the TCC (future reference : wink: )

When you are driving over 50MPH on an automatic transmission the TCC will engage to reduce wear and tear on the transmission and increase fuel mileage. If the TCC and/or solenoid goes bad it will not disengage when slowing down. It is like running a manual transmission without a clutch. The car will stall, constantly. The biggest complaint is, " I was driving on the freeway and when I got off and stopped at the next stop light the car started to idle rough and then stall completely.&Quot;

Catalytic Converter Replacement Volkswagen