REAR BRAKE PAD REPLACEMENT 197 OLDS AURORA

1919 GMC

camer

May, 24, 2006 AT 7:15 PM

I have a 1997 olsmobile aurora with 140000 miles, I need to change the rear brake pads and I'm not sure how to get the cylinder off the rotor, could you please help me out with correct information on how to change the pads? Thank you.

lsussel

May, 24, 2006 AT 9:39 PM

Do you see two bolts on the backside of the cylinder?

camer

May, 24, 2006 AT 9:42 PM

Actually theres only 1 bolt on the bottom and a pin on the the upper part. Does the pin come out or is it swing mechinism?

camer

May, 25, 2006 AT 12:14 AM

lsussel

May, 25, 2006 AT 7:03 AM

Well first of all.
If the car has drum brakes take the tire off and on the back of the hub at the bottom there is a small slit (it may have a rubber bootin it) take the boot out. Inside ther is a small gear with teeth on it take a flat head screw driver and put it on the teeth and turn the gear up or down to loosen it till the drum will come off.

There is a special tool needed to back in the self-adjuster nut in the center of the wheel hub assembly. This nut has to be backed in so that you can slide open the caliper sufficiently to be able to remove the old brake pads and install new ones. The nut is embossed with a shape like an hour glass (as opposed to, say, a Phillips or slot shape). The tool will snap into a 3/8" socket driver and with this, will then fit into the grooves to permit you to turn and back in the nut. In Canada, I found a multi-tool that did the job at PartSource. It was under $10. Ask at any reputable auto parts supplier - they should have it.

Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement Mercedes ML
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement
Brake Pads and Rotor Replacement - Front
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement Honda Rear
Brake Pad and Rotor Replacement Ford Explorer
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement - Front
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement Ford Escape