HORRID BRAKE(?) GRINDING NOISE

GMC

belafonte

May, 4, 2006 AT 12:14 AM

2001 Grand Am Se 4-cyl, 2.4L, 5-speed, about 82,500 miles:
Pleeeease help! My car has a mind of its own! To make a long story short: Sometimes when I lightly (or heavy) press the brake pedal while coming to a stop, the front right side makes an awful loud grinding noise. And sometimes the horrid sound continues even when I come to a complete stop. Along with feeling it in the accelerator and brake pedal. I don't like taking my car to the dealer. Regardless, how muchyou thing this problem is going to cost me?

thanks for your time and help! : )

nos155

May, 4, 2006 AT 2:42 AM

If it was the rear then it would be worn shoes or bad components in drums. Do you get a slight pulsation right before a complete stop at the brake pedal?

Cavalier

May, 4, 2006 AT 12:45 PM

Your pads are probably worn completly down and are frozen against the rotar. Chances are there's a big gouge in the rotar and need to have it cut down. Or maybe a new rotar all together.

It just boils down to you needing your brakes to be changed.

belafonte

May, 5, 2006 AT 9:28 PM

A reply to the reponses from my previous question: The horrid grinding noise comes from the front right side. But the thing is is that it happens off and on. Not every day. It could happen for 2 straight days, and be silent the next day. Capishe? It's annoying. But no, you are right I know that it has something to do with the brakes. Question: Since I don't like dealing with the mechanic dealer, would Midas be a good place to go? Since they are suppose to be experts in brakes. Hopefully it will not be an arm and a leg. Thanks for your help and a response,
belafonte

Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement - Rear
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement Chevrolet
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement Ford Escape
Brake Pad and Rotor Replacement
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement Toyota Tacoma
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement - Front
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement