BRAKE LIGHT FAILURE

GMC

bhw342001

April, 8, 2006 AT 7:25 PM

I have a 1999 grand prix gt sedan and the2 bottom brake lights are not working the third brake does work. I have replaced the bulbs and the brake light switch I took in to a mechanic and they said it might be a multi-function switch in the steering column wich would cost approx. 500.00 - 700.00 to replace and could not guarantee that it would fix the problem could that be the problem or is some body trying to rip me off? Is there a way to test it without tearing the steering column apart?

hawaiistang

April, 9, 2006 AT 12:33 AM

I just had the same exact problem with my blazer the lower two brake lights wouldnt work but the center upper one would.I brought the blazer to the gm dealer they charged me 140 bucks to tell me the multifunction switch went out. When I did a little research before hand to see what was going on. And figured that out myself, and I just brought it in to see how much they could do it for. They said 700 bucks and I just paid the 140 diagnostic fee and left.I went home and looked on ebaymotors for a multifunction switch for my blazer for 100 bucks including shipping I bought one on ebay, then brought it to a local shop and they installed it for 112. So yes you can rest assure there are ways around paying 700 bucks and and also rest assure that replacing the multifunction switch will aliviate the problem.

Brake Light Bulb Replacement
Brake Light Bulb Replacement Mercedes Benz
Brake Light Bulb Replacement Mercedes Benz ML
Brake Light Bulb Replacement Chevrolet
Brake Light Bulb Replacement Subaru Legacy