STARTER PROBLEM

1992 GMC

poober11

May, 1, 2008 AT 7:00 PM

1992 Other GMC Models Four Wheel Drive Automatic 200k miles

What may be the reason I have had to replace the starter on my 1992 S10 Blazer 5 times in 6 months? We've tried switching brands, Bosch first now AC Delco. We've rewired etc but the problem keeps occuring. It starts fine & then without warning you turn the key, and nothing.

blackop555

May, 1, 2008 AT 8:50 PM

Each time your vehicle youve taken it in and the starter has been tested as bad? Then the new one is put in and it fires right up?

poober11

May, 1, 2008 AT 11:48 PM

Yes, each starter that has been taken out has had a stuck solenoid, but the starter motor is good. Once a new one is put in it starts fine.

blackop555

May, 2, 2008 AT 7:19 AM

If the starter motor is too old it can cause the solenoid to fail by drawing too much curent welding its contacs inside.

Make sure the solenoids connections are all clean and tight, same for on teh battery and on the starter.

Is the solenoid mounted tightly? If not it may not be making a good ground connnection.

Another thing is try to have the battery fully charged, maybe evena new one when you use it for about the first week, makes it work less.

Starter Replacement
Starter Motor Replacement Ford Mustang
Battery Replacement Ford Escape 2000-2006
Battery Replacement
Battery Replacement Guide
Battery Replacement Ford Contour 1996-2000