1997 GMC JIMMY OIL PRESSURE PROBLEMS

• gmman00
  • 1997 GMC Jimmy

1997 GMC Jimmy 6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Automatic 185000 miles

i have a 1997 jimmy when I start it the oil pressure is around 40-45 and drops to 30 or 35 when is warm, and goes back to 40 or just above when I am driving. After driving for a long time or after driving on the highway and stopping the oil pressure drops to around 20 at idle and I can feel a slight vibration. When I bought it a few years ago the oil pressure was always at 40 it has been doing this for a year or more now since I let it get low on oil 1 time last year. Is the oil pump going out or is this something I dont need to worry about.

Monday, November 8th, 2010 AT 7:28 PM

• Wrenchtech

A few different things could be happening. It could be the brand of oil that your using. It could be a bad oil pressure sender or it could actually be getting lower pressure due to engine or oil pump wear. It's going to take some experimenting to determine which.

Monday, November 8th, 2010 AT 7:40 PM
  • gmman00

I used to not really pay attention to what oil I used. Now the last sevral oil changes I have used pennzoil platinum with fram extra guard filter the better oil seems to help but not much. Is this something that will cause further harm if I keep driving it like this?

Monday, November 8th, 2010 AT 9:05 PM
  • Wrenchtech

You'd have to find out what the actual problem is before anybody can answer that. Right now you don't even know if the reading is accurate or not.

Monday, November 8th, 2010 AT 9:07 PM
  • gmman00

Ok thanks for the help

Monday, November 8th, 2010 AT 9:13 PM
  • gmman00

After I check with a mechanical gauge if the pressure reading is accurate where is the oil pressure sender located at?

Monday, November 8th, 2010 AT 9:46 PM
  • Wrenchtech

Rear of engine near distributor

Tuesday, November 9th, 2010 AT 4:20 AM