BRAKE LIGHTS?

JIM GENETTI
  • 2006 GMC ENVOY
Turn signal works no brake lights. Checked fuses all good. Had brake switch replaced 1 yr. 8 months ago, same symptoms. How do you replace the brake switch?
Monday, August 23rd, 2010 AT 9:42 PM

BLUELIGHTNIN6
Should not fail that quickly but if it is faulty again then it's simple to replace. just disconnect battery, disconnect switch, unbolt from mounting bracket and replace.

This guide can help you fix brake light problems.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/brake-lights-not-working

Please run down this guide and report back.
Monday, August 23rd, 2010 AT 9:48 PM
PILOTDAD717
  • 2005 GMC ENVOY
Brakes problem
2005 GMC Envoy 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive 52000 miles

both brake llights L/R (Top one OK) are not working checked the fuse and and bulbs already
+2
Friday, July 24th, 2020 AT 5:56 PM (Merged)
Hi, thanks for the donation. Did you use a testlite on the fuse circuit, to make sure the circuit is hot? Even if the fuse is good, if no voltage on the circuit, the circuit is dead.

I'd have to check feed circuits to and from the flasher module. The feed from the flasher module goes to fuses, under left rear seat, then to stop lamps.

https://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/170934_onvoy_brake_lites_1.jpg

MANDYGUILL
  • 2004 GMC ENVOY
Only my brake light on the left side works. The right one and the one in the top of the back window don't. I have replaced bulbs and fuses. Please help me out.
Hi:

I just went through the schematic. The left brake light and the high mount brake light get power from the same place. The right brake light gets it from a different place. With that in mind, the idea of a fuse doesn't make sense. However, I did take notice that both the high mount brake light and the right brake light have a common ground. The ground for the left one is in a different location. Therefor, I suspect the left ground is good (allowing one light to work) and the right ground is bad (causing the two not to work). At least that is where I would start.

I attached a pic for you from the schematic. Check the ground I circled in the pic. The ground shows in two different places on the pic, but note the ground number (g402) is the same for the two lights not working.

Here are a few links you may find helpful:

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-use-a-test-light-circuit-tester

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-use-a-voltmeter

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-check-wiring

After you check the ground, see if there is power to the light socket. If there is when you use a test light, then you know it's a ground because the test light will be grounded in a different place.

Let me know what you find and if this helps.

LTAHOE7195
  • 2003 GMC ENVOY
Tail lights work on both sides, but the brake light only comes on for the left side and high middle also works, but the right side brake light does not. Would this be considered a brake light switch issue if one of the 2 sides is not working?
JACK42

THis sounds like you have a bad connection at the right side light. Here is the brake light wiring diagrams where you can see the two lower lights are connected so if one works the other should as well. Check for power coming to the right socket light/blue wire. Here is a guide to help you.

and

Check out the diagrams (Below). Please let us know what you find. We are interested to see what it is. Cheers, Ken
EJSTADLER
Thanks for this post I had a bad light socket they I replaced cost me $34.00 all set! I Love this site.
LASHANDRA1982
  • 2002 GMC ENVOY
2002 GMC Envoy

What is wrong when you hit your brake light and it doesn't light up but when you unlock and lock the truck it will light up than? I have already replace the bulbs.
BLUELIGHTNIN6
Suspect faulty brake lamp switch, located on brake pedal arm under driver side dash.

Have you noticed if your high-mount ( 3rd ) brake lamp works properly?
MONA KLEMENT
  • 2002 GMC ENVOY
I have 2002 gmc envoy 4wd with intermittant brake lights. Bulbs are ok, fuses are ok, changed out switch. Brake lights still do not work.
WRENCHER1
When this happens, does the 3rd (high mount) brake light work?
+2
TERESAPOLSTON49
  • 2002 GMC ENVOY
  • TURBO
I have replaced the fuses and I have replaced the bulbs I have replace the brake switch. I have a problem still no brake lights. All lights working tail lights and blinkers work just no brake lights? I even check the fuses floor box and under neath. My hood fuse box. I now can't get the brake switch on the brake pedal with a clip. I can't get the brake lights on either. Help me please.
Friday, July 24th, 2020 AT 5:57 PM (Merged)
ASEMASTER6371
Ok, you need a test light or voltmeter to start making checks. Stop throwing parts at this and lets find the failure first

see if you have voltage at the brake light switch

+3
HELJAY
  • 1998 GMC ENVOY
How to r+r stop light
BLUELIGHTNIN6
ROOF MOUNTED

Unfasten the brake light assembly retaining screws.
Remove the assembly from the roof, pull the electrical connector through the hole in the roof and unplug the electrical connection.
Installation is the reverse of removal.

WINDOW MOUNTED

Remove the assembly from its mounting, pull the rubber grommet from the body at the top of the end gate, pull the electrical connection through the hole and unplug it.
Installation is the reverse of removal.
HELJAY
The stop light is in the air foil on the tail gate. How do you take off the flair
BLUELIGHTNIN6
Yes that would be the window mounted brake light, there should be mounting screws at each end of the stop light that need removed, not the entire spoiler piece.
ONEAL JOHNSON
  • 2003 GMC ENVOY
Brake lights are not working, I changed both lights, and fuses. Can you help me figure out what it can be
BLUELIGHTNIN6
Check the brake light switch, located on brake pedal arm bracket below driver dash.

Sponsored links