INTERMITTANT HESITATIONS AFTER 2400 RPM

1993 GMC C2500

johnrhaynes

Other Category problem
1993 GMC C2500 V8 Four Wheel Drive Automatic 160000 miles

My suburban runs good up to 2400 rpm in D (overdrive) but then after 2400 the tac intermittently jumps up 50 rpm and you feel a slight lag in speed. (So you kind of go pulsing down the road if over 66mph in Drive.) Doesn't happen at a lower gear and the same rpm.
454 engine with factory replaced trans at 60K.

Jack42

Is that a throttle body or port fuel injection? Has it been tuned up recently and if so what brand parts were used? Sounds like it is ignition related if it jumps

johnrhaynes

I have throttle body. Seems strange that it runs so smoothly until it hits exactly 2400rpm and above. Then the 50rpm jump is at the same time you feel a slight reduction in speed. Lasts for a second or so and then drops back for a second or so etc.
Last tune up was maybe 6k ago and generic parts were used.
If you are cruising at 70 on level grade and the torque converter lock goes in and out, how much rpm change would there be in and out?

Jack42

January, 26, 2008 AT 7:54 AM

That would be about the right amount for the lock-up. If you are giving it any throttle it shouldnt lock the converter, might go in and out of OD depending on the amount of throttle being given. What gets me is the reduction in speed, almost like an ignition misfire causing the tach to jump and the engine to lose a slight amount of power. By generic parts, I hope you dont mean Bosch platinum plugs or their wires. Try to stick with the OEM stuff, costs a little more, but the ignition system is designed around the resistance in certain ignition parts.

johnrhaynes

January, 26, 2008 AT 8:58 AM

Thanks. I'll let you know after I follow up on items mentioned. Thanks again.

Jack42

January, 27, 2008 AT 8:50 AM

Hopefully leads us somewhere

johnrhaynes

February, 1, 2008 AT 6:46 PM

Solution: total transmission rebuild. It's like having a new truck (I suspect better). No electircal or computer problem as it turned out, just a totally worn out transmission. Thanks again. John

Vacuum Leak Test and Repair - All Cars