91 GMC k2500 oil leak

STEELWEELS
  • 2012 GMC C1500

91 gmc k2500 4wd 5.7L, 250,000+, oil cooler adapter leaking at block, couldnt find gaskets that were to be there, tried what I could, drove 12 miles, fixed, so I thought, next morning 5 miles later, blew again in same spot, new gaskets are waiting, but need to know how they are installed, no one around can say for sure, gm dealer wants the work, wont help me, we are on welfare right now and need this running, no money left, just put $1500 in front end, everything is now new, water pump, all electronics on intake is new, trying to keep this thing alive till we can find work and get newer truck, sorry, no money for donation, so I am trying to help others on here if I can

Sunday, March 4th, 2007 AT 9:43 AM

CHEVYII

OK STEELE GIT YOUR MESSAGE, IS IT LEAKING AT THE OIL FILTER PORTION OF THE COOLER, LIKE RIGHT ABOVE IT? AND WHAT BRAND OIL FILTER ARE YOU USING

Sunday, March 4th, 2007 AT 12:44 PM
STEELWEELS

Fram oil filter, but it is leaking where the adapter mounts to the block, I changed the paper gaket with the metal sandwiched between, and put an o-ring to try and seal it, and it blew again after 15 miles

Sunday, March 4th, 2007 AT 1:07 PM
CHEVYII

SO YOU PULLED THE FILTER AND THEN REMOVED THE TWO COOLER HOUSING BOLTS 10 MM DROPPED IT AND REPLACED THE ORING ACTUALLY THERE IS TWO THAT GO ON IT, AND WERE THEY DEALER PARTS, THERE WERE SEVERAL UPDATED ON THE PARTS SHOULD BE 6-8 BUCKS, AND IF YOU HAVE AIR COMP AT YOUR PLACE YOU COULD USE LOW AIR TO BLOW THROUGH THE LINES TO CHEK FOR BLOCKAGES

Sunday, March 4th, 2007 AT 1:09 PM
STEELWEELS

Yes, correct on all, dropped two bolts, moved brace faway that goes to inspection pan for flywheel, was told by radiator shop NOT to remove lines if not needed, found a 2-inch piece of gasket(that is metal sandwiched by paper)on top of what looks like a screen or filter, didnt find anything else, replaced this gasket(included in set) which is a napa Victor Reinz set(gs33272), and also put the rubber o-ring on where the adapter mounts to the block, no sealer though, wasnt sure about that, was told maybe pcv valve was plugged or have back pressure somewhere, just not sure what gaskets are needed and where they go, there are different kits, Fel-Pro(es72671) but still no instructions on how to install them and which ones are needed

Sunday, March 4th, 2007 AT 4:13 PM
CHEVYII

GO TO THE DEALER, THEY WILL HAVE MICRO FILM, I USED ON KIT A FEW MOTHS BACK AND THERE WASNT MUCH IN IT, AS I SAID BEFORE IF YOU HAVE A RESTICTION IN THE LINE OR COOLER WHICH SHOULD BE YOUR RAD THAT MAY DO IT BUT NOT THE PCV VALVE.

Sunday, March 4th, 2007 AT 6:03 PM
STEELWEELS

So does this mean I need to pull the radiator and have it shop tested? Or is there a way I can do it while it is still in the truck? I do have a small compressor that I can try to blow out lines(really hate to break seals tho) will try to get this done today and leave the results here, thought maybe I could find this diagram online somewhere, need to post tranny problem on 89 chevy after I get this one done, not sure if it is tranny or torque converter.

Monday, March 5th, 2007 AT 6:50 AM
CHEVYII

No dont take it to the shop you can do it on the truck, look in the adapter you might have to step down some hose on you blower but you need to replace the gaskets anyway on the adaper? I thought

Monday, March 5th, 2007 AT 8:34 AM
STEELWEELS

Hey chevy, was just able to get to the truck today, adapter is loose and hangin, one line is off, both lines are off the radiator. When I loosened and dropped the adapter the lines spun in the connectors, is that ok?Can I blow air thru the holes to radiator to see if there is flow, or will this do damage? Will blow lines out when off, and adapter, still no help with diagrams for gasket install, cant tell yet what happened to the ones I put on, cant see up there yet. Thanks for the help.

Wednesday, March 7th, 2007 AT 4:40 PM
CHEVYII

Everything sounds fin for now, dont blow 120 psi just bump it and see what happens let me know on the gaskets and seals

Wednesday, March 7th, 2007 AT 8:40 PM
STEELWEELS

Okay, still workin carefully here to take this apart, can you help with how the gaskets go, called gm and 2 chevy dealers, either they dont want to help or they cant, dont know, I am sure they just want me to take it in, cant afford that right now, called some small shops around here and they dont have the techno, I dont know how they could fix it then, I need a darn diagram or breakaway of this little monster, as far as putting it back together.

Wednesday, March 7th, 2007 AT 9:08 PM
CHEVYII

Go figure I cant pull a diagram either and I have gm software

Wednesday, March 7th, 2007 AT 9:28 PM
STEELWEELS

So how do I know how to install these correctly, to make sure I have the right ones and where they go, also, it says to make a donation, but how do I get the money to YOU for the help

Thursday, March 8th, 2007 AT 11:52 AM
CHEVYII

Are they gaskets or orings

Thursday, March 8th, 2007 AT 1:20 PM
STEELWEELS

This kit has 2 small rubber o-rings(probably for cooler lines), 1 large rubber o-ring(maybe for adapter to block seal) two black paper gaskets, 1 has like metal sandwiched between paper( for top of screen or filter inside the adapter)1 just made of paper. I installed the first time around, the gasket with the metal and the large o-ring. This is a victor reinz set part # GS33272, this is what my NAPA dealer said is the same as a FELPRO es72671

Friday, March 9th, 2007 AT 8:31 AM
STEELWEELS

Or maybe this will help,

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/60891_oil_cooler_1.jpg

Friday, March 9th, 2007 AT 9:36 AM
CHEVYII

I THINK ONLY ONE OF THE LARGE GASKETS ARE USED, THE O RING IS A BLOCK TO ADAPTER SEAL

Friday, March 9th, 2007 AT 11:04 AM
STEELWEELS

First, I was "new to forum" not it states "tech level one", what does that mean, all parts are off, paper gasket with metal middle(oreo cookie style) was still intact, large rubber o-ring (adapter to block) had small tear on one side(my fault) after taking adapter off, found an o-ring recessed in adapter, but it looked like a square type, or is this what happens to the round one after mounting, because this is sloppy in the groove, blew out adapter and lines to radiator, no blockage, but cant find rest of pieces from old gaskets, could they have made it to the pan or radiator

Saturday, March 10th, 2007 AT 9:12 AM
CHEVYII

Your leak was probably from the large oring, as far as the other gaskets it probably wnet into the filter, use some oil on the oring tjis time

Saturday, March 10th, 2007 AT 9:20 AM
STEELWEELS

Looking at the lines to the adapter, these have the screw on threaded type fittings, not the plastic snap clips, there were NO small o-rings on these fittings or in the adapter, should I install these two? Was debating about putting form-a-gasket on the adapter, but if you say to only use oil(like the oil filter), thats what I will try, still scratching head about possible over pressure, dont want to do this again, but we figured this was the only way to see what is gonna happen, this is wifes truck, and dont want her and the kids stranded or a blown engine, you know how women are.

Sunday, March 11th, 2007 AT 9:05 AM
CHEVYII

Check inside of the adapter where the lines go and see if there is a void where the small ones go, as far as the pressure, is the pcv system ok?
JIM

Sunday, March 11th, 2007 AT 9:09 AM