EATING COOLANT; CAN'T FIND IT.

2000 GMC C1500

ArmyAviator

October, 8, 2008 AT 10:42 AM

Engine Cooling problem
2000 GMC C1500 V8 Four Wheel Drive Automatic 192K miles

2000 GMC impeccably maintained; syn oils. Eating about a quart of coolant every 2 weeks. NO water in the oil. Changed a seeping water pump 4 months ago. Still not improved. Can it be the throttle body? I see coolant lines going there? How many gaskets might there be on that throttle body to check?

--Bryant

Jack42

October, 9, 2008 AT 7:43 AM

Is this a 5.3 Liter engine? If you cant find any leaks, you may want to have the cooling system pressure tested to try to find it, or have the cooling system chemical tested for the prescence of exhaust gasses (blown head gasket)

ArmyAviator

October, 9, 2008 AT 8:00 AM

It is a 5.3L.

Do you think it could be @ the throttle body?

With a blown head gasket, wouldn't I have water in my eng oil?

Jack42

October, 9, 2008 AT 8:23 AM

It could be at the throttle body, you would need to pressure test or take it off to see if it is leaking. No, a blown head gasket can go into the combustion chamber and not ever contaminate the oil

ArmyAviator

October, 9, 2008 AT 8:44 AM

Hi, Jack. Thank you for your considerate reply. Other than using coolant like so much gatoraid, am I hurting my engine?

--Bryant

Jack42

October, 9, 2008 AT 10:36 AM

Its not real good for it, bu tI guess thta would also depend on what th eproblem really is. Lol I would have it taken care of ASAP, it sounds like you stay on top of th elevel, so thta is good, overheating does real damage

ArmyAviator

October, 9, 2008 AT 10:55 AM

Thanks, Jack.

It has never even come close to overheating. It runs really well, has 55psi of oil pressure and no water in oil.

I'll keep watching it. I can't resolve to stab another engine in it or repair the heads, if that's it, as it's a 2000 with 192K, but it still looks new and I'll just drive her and watch her.

: )

--Bryant

Thermostat Replacement Chevrolet Blazer
Radiator Replacement Kia Sportage
Radiator Replacement Mercedes Benz ML 500
Thermostat Replacement Mercedes Benz C230
Thermostat Replacement Chrysler PT Cruiser