1997 GMC C1500 Access to brake light switch on brake pedal

TIMB12
  • 1997 GMC C1500
1997 GMC C1500 V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic

I have a problem with an intermittant connection on the wiring going to a switch attached to the top of the brake pedal. I can see the wires and switch, and barely touch them, but can't get access. If I move the wires, the brakes lights come on and off. The steering wheel column blocks access from under the dash and there is a steel frame to support the column that blocks access from the sides and above. Looking along the lower front of the dash, there is a tube that appears like the dash might pivot open to give access, but I can't find how the dash is secured. I've removed all visible screws, removed the instrument panel, but can't find anything holding the dash. Any help would be a lifesaver.
Tuesday, May 26th, 2009 AT 8:00 AM

MERLIN2021
Never heard of removing the instrument panel...isnt there a plastic kick below the dash held on by just a few clips? Anyway here's the "book" version:
STOPLAMP SWITCH Removal & Installation Disconnect negative battery cable. Remove retainer from brake pedal pin. Remove switch by unsnapping from pushrod. Remove electrical connector from switch. To install, reverse removal procedure. See Fig. 18 .

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/62217_Stop_1.jpg

-1
Tuesday, May 26th, 2009 AT 3:27 PM
TIMB12
Yes, that's wonderful, but you didn't answer my question. I can see the switch and the cable along with the clip that holds it together. If I strain, I can touch it with 1 or 2 fingers. Is there any way to really get access to it? It's enclosed on the top and sides by the support for the steering column, and blocked from the bottom by the steering column. Removing the instrument panel turned out to be a bust. I was hoping it would give me access to the top, but there's just more plastic from the dash sealing the whole back of the instrument panel.
Tuesday, May 26th, 2009 AT 4:27 PM
MERLIN2021
What I'm asking though is is there a plastic kick panel under the dash that needs to be removed? Most vehicles have it to hold wires from hitting your feet as you drive. If worse comes to worse, remove the neg batt cable wait 2 mins to deactiveate the air bags, remove the four bolts securing the steering column and drop it down, if you can upload a picture under there for me?
-2
Wednesday, May 27th, 2009 AT 2:52 AM