TURN SIGNALS

1997 Geo Prizm

jbazhaw

August, 8, 2009 AT 11:34 PM

1997 Geo Prizm 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic

The turn signals have stopped working. I've checked the fuses and changed the flasher fuse, strangely the later was harder than it sounds. I've also checked for corroded connections while the fuse(s) where out. All other electrical systems are working, i.E, lights (high beams and low), dome light, radio, gauges, ect. Any other ideas before I start tearing apart the steering column?

mmprince4000

August, 10, 2009 AT 8:30 AM

Check for 12V at the connector, also do your emergency flashers work?

jbazhaw

August, 11, 2009 AT 4:31 PM

No the Emergency Flasher's don't work. Again I've replaced one fuse and also the flasher fuse (big fuse). I've also checked for corrosion in both places. I've been told that there might be at least one more fuse, but no one seems to know where this is located.

mmprince4000

August, 12, 2009 AT 9:30 AM

Check the fuses in the drivers side kick panel and the main fuse block in the engine compartment.

If you still have a problem, post again and I will try to find a schematic, but our source for schematics are sorta hard to read unless you can enlarge them.

jbazhaw

August, 12, 2009 AT 1:56 PM

I've checked and replaced the one's in the kick panel they (several auto parts stores) tell me that there is yet one more fuse/(relay) for the emergency flashers. Of course no one knows where it goes. Any idea's on this?

jbazhaw

August, 12, 2009 AT 4:22 PM

I've checked and replaced the one's in the kick panel they (several auto parts stores) tell me that there is yet one more fuse/(relay) for the emergency flashers. Of course no one knows where it goes. Any idea's on this?[/Quote: 59eb5037ae]

Ok, found the schematics for this car, there is no phantom fuse that everyone claims, The wiring goes from the turn signal to the hazard lights to the fuses, I checked the wiring once again on the hazard switch and one of them was loose from it's connector. Reseated this and every thing is working again.

mmprince4000

August, 13, 2009 AT 7:57 AM

Great news, glad you found the problem. You may want to use some electronics cleaner if this fuse does it again.

Replace Your Turn Signal Switch Like a Pro