DTC P0125

1996 Geo Prizm

namyot

July, 6, 2008 AT 9:14 PM

1996 Geo Prizm 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic

When the car reaches operating temperature a P0125 code comes up. Have replaced thermostat, flushed cooling system, replaced ECT sensor, and downstream o2 sensor. These were all the things my book suggested. The code still comes up. Any more suggestions?

mmprince4000

July, 7, 2008 AT 6:01 AM

Did you clear the code with a scan tool?

namyot

July, 7, 2008 AT 6:21 AM

Yes, I cleared the code after each operation I performed. I took the car for emissions testing and it failed both because the light was on, then with a tailpipe test(High hydrocarbons and CO.

mmprince4000

July, 7, 2008 AT 6:03 PM

Check backpressure on the CAT. You may have a plugged CAT. Does it have an upstream sensor? If so it may need to be replaced, but you want to make sure the CAT is not clogged.

If it will not go into closed loop, it will run rich, which will clog the CAT.

namyot

July, 8, 2008 AT 6:42 AM

I have already ordered a new upstream 02 sensor, not yet installed. How do I check for a clogged CAT?

mmprince4000

July, 8, 2008 AT 7:10 AM

You have to remove the upstream sensor and replace it with a special adapter and gauge, start the engine and measure pressure before the convertor.
You may be able to rent one.

You could also remove the downpipe from the convertor and inspect the convertor visually. It should look like a honeycomb, if you see cracks/melting the convertor must be replaced.

Oxygen Sensor Replacement Dodge Stratus
Fuel Pump Replacement Ford Mustang
Camshaft Angle Sensor Replacement P0015
Catalytic Converter Replacement Volkswagen