1995 Geo Prizm Car Fire

Tiny
JACKIEBALLARD
  • MEMBER
  • 1995 GEO PRIZM
  • 4 CYL
  • FWD
  • MANUAL
  • 143,458 MILES
Can a car catch on fire from a high ampage battery? We ended up buying a Everstart Maxx 35 because we were told that it was the only one that would go to the car, but we knew that the Everstart 26R-5S a lower ampage battery would also go to the car. The battery was installed without our permission, but we went ahead and agreed to purchase it because it was already there. As soon as we left the place the car caught on fire by the passenger side headlight and then the engine ingulfed in flames. So I really need a professional opinion to see if I had of gotten the lower ampage would it have caught on fire as well? Was it the high ampage that caused the fire? Or do you think because the fire didn't start at the battery then it was another non related existing problem? Thank you for your time.
Do you
have the same problem?
Yes
No
Thursday, December 17th, 2009 AT 2:48 PM

5 Replies

Tiny
MMPRINCE4000
  • EXPERT
This is an interesting question, but if you are saying that the car was rated for a 500amp battery and they installed an 800 amp, then no.

Aftermarket battery manufacturers routinely increase amps as a selling point. Amps (CCA) are what start the car. Batterys that go bad can have 12V but low amps and will not start the car.

If the car caught on fire after leaving the shop and you are asking if they had something to do with it, then yes, it is possible.

If an electrical fire, then they may have shorted the alt. And causes a high voltage problem.

Did you watch the car while battery was changed?

I will post this to the moderators forum and get some more opinions, so give us a few days.

Is you car totaled, did you get the fire out quickly?
Was this
answer
helpful?
Yes
No
Friday, December 18th, 2009 AT 8:59 AM
Tiny
JDL
  • EXPERT
I agree with mmprince4000, I don't believe the amp rating caused the problem, can't say about the installation procedure.
Was this
answer
helpful?
Yes
No
Friday, December 18th, 2009 AT 9:36 AM
Tiny
MHPAUTOS
  • EXPERT
Hi there, for my money this is an installation problem or an existing wiring issue, I don't believe that a high amp battery will cause such a problem.

Mark (mhpautos)
Was this
answer
helpful?
Yes
No
Friday, December 18th, 2009 AT 4:59 PM
Tiny
M_H_RITZEL
  • EXPERT
I don't think the amperage had anything to do with the fire. This happened when you left the garage I am thinking about a wire shorting out when they put in the new battery. I agree with mmprince4000
Was this
answer
helpful?
Yes
No
Saturday, December 19th, 2009 AT 11:20 AM
Tiny
MMPRINCE4000
  • EXPERT
The only other possibility is they put a higher voltage battery in it.

In racing applications, they do use 16V batteries, but these are racing only batteries and used to turn over the extremely high compression engines found in pro stock and sportsman.
Was this
answer
helpful?
Yes
No
Sunday, December 20th, 2009 AT 7:50 AM

Please login or register to post a reply.

Recommended Guides