ELECTRICAL PROBLEM1994 GEO PRIZM 4 CYL FRONT ...

1994 Geo Prizm

slohappy

November, 23, 2008 AT 8:21 PM

1994 Geo Prizm 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 175000 miles

The car won't start. The battery is not the issue, and I do have the power to have the radio, lights, and windows work.

The engine clicks, fuel is getting to the engine. Fuses have been checked, today replaced with a new rotor and distributor cap, wires have been checked. Thinking could be internal ignitor or the coil? How do I know which, and how can you test?

mhpautos

November, 23, 2008 AT 11:22 PM

Hi there,

When you say the engine clicks, is this when you attempt to crank it over? If so I would be checking the battery terminals, and the starter motor.

slohappy

November, 23, 2008 AT 11:58 PM

It clicks. We know it is either the coil or the internal ignitor, but need to know how to really determine which one before shelling out the money to replace the part.

cosmic

November, 24, 2008 AT 12:35 AM

I would check the starter if it just clicks and the car wont start. Thats what had happened to my 96 prism. Had to replace the starter

slohappy

November, 24, 2008 AT 12:42 AM

Well that has already been eliminated as a factor, the simple matter is that there is no spark being created. The battery works and the person who works on my car. That was the first thing he checked, and that was not it. He narrowed it down between the coil in the distributor or the internal ignitor. Something there is not creating the spark or firing for the spark plugs. There is enough voltage coming from the battery. My lights in the car work, my radio, power windows and locks, and this was all of a sudden. Worked perfect last night. Also checked all fuses. Once we know which it is we can fix it, just need to know how to check how to know which is dead. Can't afford to keep buying stuff that is not fixing it.

mmprince4000

November, 24, 2008 AT 5:23 AM

Most autoparts stores can test the ignitor (ignition module), so have it tested before replacing.

On some Toyota's (Prizim), you can actually buy a reman'ed distributor with module cheaper than a module itself. Check into that before buying just the module.

jdub1990

I had the same problem with my 94 Prizm, about the same time you posted this thread. Turned out to be the ignition relay switch. Hope this helps. If you haven't fixed it yet.

roadrunners09

March, 21, 2009 AT 11:28 AM

I had that problem turned out to be a bolt in 40 amp fuse in the fuse box under the hood I had to go down to the junk yard to find one because none of the auto parts stores carried it.

Crankshaft Position Sensor Replace Chevrolet
Crank Angle Sensor Replacement Mercedes Benz
Fuel Pump Replacement Ford Mustang
Fuel Pump Pressure Test